Microsurgery to prevent Lymphoedema progress

• 5 replies
  • 60 subscribers

After watching Dr Hannah Fry's programme on Life after Cancer, my friend read an article about the Oxford Lymphoedema Clinic. Dr Hannah Fry developed Lymphoedema in one leg after surgery for Cervival cancer, she subsequently had LVA surgery at the clinic to prevent progress of the condition. My Lymphoedema is in both legs and groin and as a keen cyclist I really did not want this condition to affect my mobility so I contacted the clinic, went for a Lymphogram and was told that my lymphatic were normal up to the knee but the damage in the groin meant lymph fluid spread over into lower pelvis and tummy. I was told that I was a good candidate for LVA surgery as I was still in early stages so I had my surgery on 20th December under local anaesthesia to both legs, 2 cuts on each. Everything was painless and recovery is 2 weeks of mostly elevation plus 4 weeks of no cycling or gym.

I feel so happy to know that I wouldn't end up with elephantitis! This surgery can also be done for breast cancer survivors and there is also help for those who are in advance stages of Lymphoedema through lymph node transfer and liposuction.

• Hi - just read your story - have you had any repercussions since the surgery in Oxford? I have a very similar story to yours and wondered if it is worth investigating or if you have developed any further problems? Thanks

• Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that you have been through similar. I haven't had any repercussions from the surgery which was an easy experience. The volumes in my legs have reduced however I still do my lymphatic massage daily and wear compression 3 or 4 times a week instead of every day. I am a very active person and that helps the lymph fluid to move as well. I can definitely recommend the Oxford clinic. 

Let me know how you get on x

• Hi - thanks so much for such a prompt reply - pleased to hear it has been a success so far - I think it will be well worth me making enquiries to see if the treatment would be suitable for me - thanks again

• Sorry - could I just ask - you said that you had the lower pelvis and tummy fluid spread, which I have also, which, as I am an extremely tiny build, does bother me a lot -  has that reduced also? And did you have any scarring from the cuts to the legs?

• Hi, unfortunately they can't do anything for the abdominal fluid, only the legs. The scarring is so minimal, just faint lines now but worth it. I had a cut on the inside just above each knee then a cut on each upper thigh at the front. 

It's important to do a bit of aerobic exercise for the tummy fluid plus self lymph massage on the abdomen. I stand and twist my body from side to side plus walk 10000 steps a day and also use a rebounder for 5 mins twice a day.

Do you have a lymphoedema clinic to be shown how to do self massage? If not push your CNS to get you into one or get advice from Oxford Lymphoedema clinic. I'm sure they could post instruction sheets to you. Let me know if you get no joy. X