Is it normal to be told to eat before hysteroscopy? NB it will not be GA!!

• 12 replies
  • 67 subscribers

I don't recollect being told to eat before either of my last hysteroscopies (am unlucky enough to have had 2), but have specifically been given this advice.

Wondering if it is because I was shaking a lot after my last hysteroscopy and demolished multiple small packs of hospital biscuits...

Or is this general advice for everyone? 

I do have some awkward co-morbidites, including variable BP.

• Hi Wave 

I wasn't particularly told this but I made sure I'd had a snack - to boost my blood sugar. I was told to have some paracetamol an hour before the procedure though.

My hysteroscopy and biopsies procedure went really well. It felt more like a smear test to me. Uncomfortable in parts but not painful. I did have a very kind team around me and I felt relaxed.

Wishing you all the best.

• Thank you so much for your kind and helpful reply KT89.

This will be my third hysteroscopy. First hysteroscopy (pre-menopause) was a failed hysteroscopy – they managed to do a Pipelle instead. Second hysteroscopy post-menopause was pretty uncomfortable – just do-able tbh – though, as you said the team was very kind. That was almost a year ago.

I started shaking when I got the date for my third hysteroscopy (never happened with the previous ones), though am feeling a bit better today, thank you. People on this forum are very kind.

I've definitely been told to have a meal beforehand not just a snack. Really surprised me. I think it may be individual advice given how I've been previously! (Have a history of variable BP and syncope among other things.) 

Thank you for your good wishes!

Rose x

• Hi have had 2 as 1st results were borderline.  Not comfortable but manageable. I recall being told to eat and drink as normal. 

• Thank you. That's what I recollect from before. (Am sure I ate a full meal before the last one...)

I do remember feeling rough and dizzy after both previous hysteroscopies... First time round I left hospital disoriented (caught the wrong bus home not once, not twice, but three times ... LOL) The second time round I sat demolishing biscuits and tea for quite a while and managed to catch the right bus home. I will take good care not to leave the hospital before I feel properly ready. 

• I think I would be feeling the same if I had had problems before - very understandable. Everyone on this forum has a different experience of hysteroscopy and I know it is not an easy procedure. Thankfully for me it was relatively straightforward and I was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

However the Consultant told me immediately after the procedure and was sitting down, that I had cancer. I was so shocked I said "don't you have to wait for the biopsy results?"

He gently replied that the results will show the grade but he was in no doubt. I sat there stunned but his many years of experience meant he was sure. The team were all so kind and supportive and the Consultant reassured me about everything.

I will never forget that day.

• That must have been so hard for you KT89. The Consultant told me he thought it likely I was okay last time, which I was (benign polyp).

My mother was told she had cancer on the day, breast cancer and on the day of her biopsy consultant told her she would be having surgery the following week. I recollect her saying she didn't feel ready, but the Consultant said it was essential.

It was an absolute whirlwind – I travelled home specially – with the radical mastectomy and major lymph node clearance plus other treatments afterwards.

Sometimes life can just turn around. After the advanced breast cancer diagnosis my mother went on to live more than a quarter of a century more. She already had a hysterectomy before the breast cancer diagnosis and later on had to battle skin cancer. Twice she was told upfront it was cancer.

People don't expect to be told on the day that they have cancer perhaps, but it does happen. Sending love. xx

• It would be good if someone could take you to the hospital if possible? Then at least you won’t have to play bus roulette!!!  Hope it goes ok.

• Yes, you are definitely right there. I'd got the "right" bus going in the wrong direction, then was in the "wrong part of town" by the time I paid attention and realised. Quite comical looking back... It took me at least four buses to get home (would have been five as the last one I caught didn't stop where I needed and had to beg a driver to drop me somewhere unauthorised). I will never forget that day where I felt like I was in the crazy kind of dream where you never make it to your destination, the failed hysteroscopy all part of the nightmare. But, it was real not a dream!

• Thank you. 

Your mum's story is inspirational Heart 

• Hi Rosalinda

I wasn't told to eat specifically but got told a light breakfast was ok. Mine was done at 10 am. However I was too nervous to eat so just had a cuppa before hand.

However after the procedure, I did feel a bit light headed and was given plenty of tea and biscuits. I also felt a bit shaky- so perhaps that is why they are advising you to eat- to keep your blood sugar up. 

Good Luck

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm