Radiotherapy

• 11 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Hi I am due to start radiotherapy on Thursday this week, and wondering how it effected your day to day life.  

Could you still manage to go out or did it effect your bowels/bladder so that it was difficult to go out?  Or was it too tiring to do much and did it make anyone feel poorly?

Just wanting a bit of an idea, as I know when I had chemotherapy I felt quite poorly for a week or so and then gradually felt better.

Thanks in advance.

Ange

• Hi I’ve now had 14 sessions - 11 to go! I asked for early sessions so I could park ok. Am lucky that it’s only a 15 minute drive as well. It does mean it doesn’t take much out of my day - usually home by 9.30!  Have been a  bit more tired than usual, but not too bad. Also a bit of bowel disturbance and loss of appetite, but adjusted what I eat and it hasn’t got worse. May be TMI but usually go once in morning but currently around 3 times fairly close together. So make sure I don’t do too much till it settles mid morning then free to do things.  Being careful not to go too mad, but going for walks, gardening etc. 

it’s a bit of a slog but that the 25 sessions not the actual treatment which is quick. Radiographers are great and happy to help with any queries. 

Hope all goes well for you! 

• Hi Ange19

I found the radiotherapy more tiring than chemo but partly with the travelling to hospital each day. 

I had lots of tummy effects- not every one does- but mine did stop me going out towards the end. If you do get diarrhoea then let them know as it is easier to treat when it first starts, rather than waiting. There are several different combinations of medication that they can give you to help and they will usually give you a diet sheet or information about the types of food they recommend. I avoided dairy and fibre as I found this aggravated things. 

A lot can depend on the time of your appointments and how far you need to travel. Although the actual treatment doesn't take long I was away from home for 3-4 hours each day- travelling, prep etc.

Because you are still recovering from chemo you may find that you need to take it a bit easier. I had a blood transfusion and magnesium supplements during radiotherapy. 

If you do find that you have urgency for the toilet then the hospital can give you a Can't Wait toilet card which I found reassuring. Your CNS should be able to give you one- or you can download one from on here. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Ange, you may find this thread helpful - I started it when I had my radio back in 2022. I only had radio (and brachy), didn’t have chemo, so I’m not sure if it would be different. But I drove myself to every one of the 25 appointments which was an hour each way, and my life basically carried on as normal throughout. I started tweaking my diet a couple of days before treatment started, in accordance with the pelvic radio dietary guidelines, and didn’t have any side effects till halfway through week 4 - and even then it was just some bloating and a bit of urgency, which was all manageable. 

Edit: sorry I’m trying to post a link to the Radiotherapy Support Thread but it won’t let me .

• Hi

Thanks Traveliing girl, I just wanted to get other peoples experience of how the radiotherapy went for them.

Good luck with the rest of your sessions

Ange

• Hi

Thanks Jane.  I’ll keep it all in mind, and see how I get on.  Luckily I haven’t got far to travel, about a 20 minute car journey. Although I haven’t got my times yet for my daily session, I was hoping they would be in the morning, but probably a lot of people will want morning.

Thanks again and I hope you are recovering well from everything.

Ange

• Hi

Thank you, that’s good to hear that you didn’t have bad side effects.  
    Actually I had thought I was writing in the radiotherapy thread, but I obviously didn’t.  I’ll have another look through it.

Best wishes

Ange

• Hi Ange, did you express a preference for the timings? I asked my oncologist for afternoons and that’s what I got! I got my schedules a week at a time btw

• Hi

Yes I did I said mornings, however my first appointment is 4.45, so I thought they had ignored my request or couldn’t give me a morning.  I’ll see though as I haven’t got any other appointment times.

Ange

• Have you already had your planning CT?