Hysterectomy tomorrow, a bit floored by change in plans

• 20 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hey everyone. My time is nearly upon me, my hysterectomy is booked for tomorrow (atypical hyperplasia with suspicion of early cancer but not confirmed). I’m a little floored as I had been confidently told by a previous surgeon that they could do it keyhole, however the lovely surgeon I met yesterday who will be doing it, said she thought that was much less likely during to the fact I had one ovary removed 8 years ago by open surgery. She said previous surgery makes keyhole much more difficult, but she would try. Does anyone have any success stories in a similar scenario?

I’m absolutely gutted, I’m a busy self employed mum of 2, I’ve already lost and had to cancel so many work things due to this so financial pressure is on, and was feeling good that the keyhole would allow me to return to work sooner. On top of this I’m 44 and will have all the unknowns of surgical menopause to contend with as they will remove my remaining ovary due to cancer risk. I’m trying not to go to worse case scenarios but it’s so hard, I’ve been trying to be so strong for so long for my husband and kids but this news yesterday has hit me hard and am in a state- also squeamish/needle phobic on top of all this! Would just love to hear any positive experiences/words that anyone may have. Thank you Pray 

• Hi not quite the same as you but was always told that they would try keyhole but may not be possible. Confirmed abdominal in anaesthetic room was I was examined following epidural. I recovered much more quickly than I expected- 2 nights in hospital- and started to do some work after 4 weeks ( think I could have started sooner). I made sure I got moving and walking as soon as I could. No significant pain - paracetamol only. You can do this!

• Hi Mifster16

I had my hysterectomy last June and the surgeon was hoping to do keyhole surgery but I had previously had abdominal surgery so he wasn’t sure if he could do it. I ended up with abdominal surgery as there was too much scar tissue to do keyhole. I have to say I was surprised at how quickly I recovered and I am a fair bit older than you , 64. Looking at the stories from others who have had keyhole I don’t think my recovery time was much different. I was in hospital longer but that was because my blood pressure kept dropping. I had dissolvable stitches and didn’t have any problems with the wound healing. I was ready to drive again after 4 weeks although I didn’t until 5 weeks. Please feel free to ask me any questions…

Linda xx

• Good morning  

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis - we can all understand your concerns around imminent surgery. My Consultant said he wanted to do robotic laparascopic surgery but due to the fact I had had two previous surgeries this may not be possible. I am delighted to say it WAS possible in the end.

Yes recovery from abdominal surgery would be longer but if you are generally fit and healthy you would most likely recover quicker. 

This is the time to share your worries (like you have with us). This is major surgery and you need to focus as much as possible on you. It is draining to put a brave face on and yet a lot of us would admit to doing the same. This is time for you to ask for help - practical or otherwise - over the next few weeks. Please follow the post-op recovery advice and don't be tempted to rush through. Taking it gently means each day you will be stronger and stronger. 

Money worries: this is such a stress when you need your income. I totally understand that. There could be some benefits you are entitled to while you are off work. Macmillan have a benefits helpline and they can advise. 

The Macmillan helpline is there for you to discuss anything that is worrying you. I don't know how to post the links on here but someone on here may help.

Needle phobia: I spoke to the anaesthetist about some concerns I had (not needle phobia but something else). They were brilliant and really listened and helped me all the way through.

But for now wishing you all the best for tomorrow - will be thinking of you. We'll be here afterwards to answer any questions and support too.

Best wishes

Kxx

• Thank you so much for your response, that’s really encouraging. I recovered well from my last open surgery, but I was 37 then, and have just scared myself a bit realising how much more major a hysterectomy is, but I will try and stay positive. Thank you Pray 

• Hi I’m 61 and a lot older than you! I really was surprised that I recovered so quickly!

• Thanks so much Linda, that’s really reassuring. I think having the surgical menopause element layered on top (I’m already a poor sleeper so worried about insomnia hindering my recovery etc) is reallRelaxed getting t9 me today. I’m crossing everything that they don’t find cancer and I can have HRT but won’t know for 2 weeks. It’s really encouraging to hear that you recovered so well Relaxed

• Thank you so much for your lovely and kind response, made me cry again (in a nice way)! So lovely to hear a success story in my scenario. You’re right, I think this is weeks of holding things together getting on top of me, plus that disappointing news yesterday. I just feel so out of control of my life right now, and struggling to see a point where anything feels right again, but hearing from you lovely ladies on the other side helps immeasurably, so thank you Pray xx

• Hi Mifster

I had an ovart removed at age 32 and ended up in hospital for 9 days, it was open surgery.  Fast forward to age 57 and I had my hysterectomy in July last year.  It was keyhole surgery, two days in hospital and felt good.  I had to cancel a holiday because doctor said I wouldn’t be well enough to go, he was wrong and I felt angry as I was well enough to go.

Im sure whatever surgery they perform that it will be the best decision for your health and recovery.  It will take time but you should notice a significant change after about 4 weeks.

Talk to the McMillan chat line about your financial situation and they will get an advisor to look into what can be done to help you.

You mentioned having 2 children and I would suggest getting them to help in anyway that they can.  If friends or family offer to help accept it, you will need to take things very easy for a few weeks.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery tomorrow and that you recover quickly.

Linda x

• Thank you so much Linda, that’s a really encouraging story- I will try not to lose hope just yet! And yes, I will be taking all the help. My eldest is 13 so hopefully she will be able to help dad a bit as well, we also have a puppy in the mix! At least I know to adjust my expectations for recovery a bit, now. Thank you x

• Wishing you all the best for today.

Will be thinking of you.

Kxx