Hysterectomy tomorrow, a bit floored by change in plans

• 20 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hey everyone. My time is nearly upon me, my hysterectomy is booked for tomorrow (atypical hyperplasia with suspicion of early cancer but not confirmed). I’m a little floored as I had been confidently told by a previous surgeon that they could do it keyhole, however the lovely surgeon I met yesterday who will be doing it, said she thought that was much less likely during to the fact I had one ovary removed 8 years ago by open surgery. She said previous surgery makes keyhole much more difficult, but she would try. Does anyone have any success stories in a similar scenario?

I’m absolutely gutted, I’m a busy self employed mum of 2, I’ve already lost and had to cancel so many work things due to this so financial pressure is on, and was feeling good that the keyhole would allow me to return to work sooner. On top of this I’m 44 and will have all the unknowns of surgical menopause to contend with as they will remove my remaining ovary due to cancer risk. I’m trying not to go to worse case scenarios but it’s so hard, I’ve been trying to be so strong for so long for my husband and kids but this news yesterday has hit me hard and am in a state- also squeamish/needle phobic on top of all this! Would just love to hear any positive experiences/words that anyone may have. Thank you Pray 

• Wishing you the best for today and hope all goes well

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane- out the other side now! Relaxed

• Thank you so much- back home now and so relieved to be out the other side RelaxedPray

• Hey all- a little update and hopefully a positive one to anyone in the same position- my surgery was completed keyhole, the consultant said nothing was too ‘messy’ in there after all, she said the real challenge was removing my uterus as it was so bulky (presumably with all the Hyperplasia). She said she had to really pull on it! Now just a wait to see what the histology says and whether I can have HRT. Thank you all so so much for all the love and support xx

• Good morning  

Lovely to hear from you. Great news you could have keyhole surgery too. Oh I remember the sheer joy and relief at the surgery being over.

Wishing you a peaceful recovery and we're here if you need any questions answering.

Kxx

• I had my op last year which originally was going to be via keyhole but because I had a large, benign Fibroid attached to my womb it had to it done via the abdomen. I was 57 at the time and my family were shocked how 5 days later I was able to walk our of the hospital on discharge day as they thought I'd be needing a wheelchair. The staff got me up walking quickly which I was keen to do. I found the most important thing to remember in the early days is not to pick up anything heavy and listen to your bodyesp when it comes to fatigue. In relation to the menopause and hormones etc I would just write down in a little note book any questions you have and take one with you while in hospital. Really helped me while there as I knew I wouldn't necessarily remember everything during that time. You will be absolutely fine.

X

• Well done you, I’m so glad you recovered so well. I felt pretty wiped the first two days but feel I have turned a bit of a corner this morning and feel much more like myself! Thank you for a positive story Relaxed xx️

• You're welcome and you are doing good and to be honest that was the same for me. I'm the sort of person that doesn't like to bother people but I had to learn in hospital to be upfront with the staff how I was feeling and to ask any questions I had however daft I thought they may be. So I would say never hold back in asking for help or for info when you need it. Good luck with your recovery. X 

• just catching up on your story, so pleased you had keyhole in the end. Wishing you well with your results