Awaiting Robotic Surgery

• 127 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Booked in for robotic surgery on 26th April for radical Hysterectomy and lymph node removal. Had anaesthetic previously but never had robotic surgery before. Anyone been through this, feeling a bit apprehensive

• Just think of it as laparoscopic, I had 5 small incisions, but this seems to vary, I have only one of the scars that is really noticeable and am nearly 6 months post surgery. 

• Thanks for the response. Hope you are on the way to recovery x

• Hi  I had robotic surgery. Like  I have 5 small incisions. I can only relay my own experience and that was a good one. I came home the day after surgery, followed all relevant advice and have recovered with no complications (touch wood). My surgery was just after the new year.

• Thank you for the response, wishing you a speedy recovery.  Have you had any follow up appointments yet? 

• I’m in the middle of radiotherapy, 25 sessions. It is adjuvant just to make sure that they got it all. My final staging was 1b grade 3. My experience has been caring, professional and communicative, I hope you have the same experience. Are you expecting follow up treatment? Have you a provisional staging before post op pathology?

• Hi Edgecumbe Girl

Welcome to the Womb forum. 

I am sorry to hear that you are needing a hysterectomy at the end of the month but pleased that you do not need to wait too much longer.

I can understand you feeling anxious about the surgery and this is very normal. I tried to think of it positively as it was getting rid of the cancer. Robotic surgery is very similar to laparoscopic surgery except that the surgeon controls the robotic arms that are holding the instruments- rather than holding the instruments directly. I had mine laparoscopically and it was 4 tiny cuts in my tummy that healed very quickly. The surgery was straightforward, I had very little pain and recovered quickly from it. Although it is a big thing to go through I think it is helpful to remember that they are doing these surgeries day in, day out and they really are routine for the staff. They will do a pre op check up and will be well monitored throughout. 

Is there anything specifically that is worrying you or just the surgery in general? I remember feeling really anxious on one hand but on the other hand- I just wanted it done. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• My staging  is Grade 1 tumour with Stage 2 in Pelvis area. Radiotherapy has been discussed but have been told I will know more after surgery when they can do more grading. Thanks for your response, I wish you a speedy recovery. x

• Thanks for your response. I have had my op date for the last 2 weeks and have been fine with it all. I had laparoscopic surgery around 5 years ago to remove gall bladder so now you have said what it is like, I feel a bit happier. I feel the same about just wanting to get the cancer/tumour removed and have been fine with it but just this week I have felt a little overwhelmed. Your comment and description has made me feel miles better. Thank you so much, you have put my mind at rest.  am also Jane :-)

• Good morning  

I had robotic total hysterectomy in September 2023. I recovered quickly and was amazed how little pain I had. It is remarkable how surgery has advanced. 

Wishing you all the best for your surgery.

Kxx

• I hope everything goes smoothly for you, please keep us updated with your treatment and recovery. This is an amazingly supportive group and will be with you all the way Grin