Any Hysterectomy advise?

• 13 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hey all!

ive recently been told (Monday) that my cancer is back and I’m being booked in for the hysterectomy. Do you have any advise? Or thing/tips you wish were told before going in?

I’m 27, was previously of the hormone fertility saving treatment (for about a year and 1/2) to reduce the cancer, followed on by a year ‘off’ treatment trying to get pregnant. Truthfully I thought everything was going fine, my body finally started having regular periods (hasn’t done that since I was a teen) so was hoping I’d be pregnant before the end of the year! Have no children, so trying for our first!
my last hysteroscopy/ biopsy came back suspicious- so they sent me for an additional biopsy and MRI. Called in on Monday to discuss the results, already knew it was bad news when the nurse was waiting for me at the door. Cancer is back and now slightly higher grade (trying to spread its love?), still contained in the womb so I know how lucky I am- but can’t help feeling gutted!

im not too sure on the time scales, or what to expect! They’re hoping to do it via keyhole- and leaving my ovaries. Just taking the womb and tubes. Any advise on what to expect would be incredibly helpful, definitely freaking out a bit here! 

thanks in advance x

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. I'm so sorry to read you're in the midst of trying for a family and this bombshell has been dropped on you. 

Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

I had my TLH (Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy) done by keyhole, much quicker healing timeframe.

Have a look through some of the posts, they're very informative. In fact we're just compiling a checklist of what to take into hospital.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb  xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi I am only 31 had hysterectomy due to low stage 1 cancer they kept my ovaries too wishing you the best of luck on your journey xxx

• Hi Kerby,

So sorry to hear your news. I had keyhole surgery and recovered well at 72, so I'm sure you will be fine. All I would say is go easy and look after yourself. Don't try to act normally, let people look after you for a while. I think there is a list of stuff to take into hospital under 'Chat'.

Wishing you all the best xxx

• Bless you!

Big knickers and a little pillow to hold against your tum if you have to manoeuvre.  Little things but they were really helpful to me and I’m fine over three years after surgery!

All the very best

Gusbunxxxxxxxxx

• Hi, Kerby

I wanted a family but never managed it, then found I had endometrial cancer post menopause.

I just wanted to say that I have come out the other end! It is tough when life doesn’t go the way you expect, but you can eventually focus on other things. In my case it was new hobbies and paying more attention to developing in my job, but it may be different for you.

Surgery appears to have put an end to my cancer (2018) and I’ve recovered well. 

it takes time to come to terms with not having your own biological children and to deal with the emotions surrounding cancer, but I’m sure your partner will want you to do what’s best for you.

sending you lots of hugs

Gusbunxxxxxxxxx

• Try and organise for a cleaner I wasn’t able to and really regret it. Also my friend told me no one ever died of eating a posh ready meal! I got in pear juice, dried figs and dark chocolate more preferable than prescribed anti constipation meds. I got some floaty big dresses a couple of sizes bigger than normal and some big knickers too. Good luck I am 12 days post surgery!

• Hello Gusbun,

I am 19 days post keyhole total hysterectomy and in more discomfort this week than weeks post op 1 and 2 . Can you advise on how you found the pillow useful, thanks. 

• Hi, StrongOak

I got the advice from someone else on here! Whenever you have to get up or move, hold your little cushion against your tummy to help support everything. Also, if you go in the car it can be used to protect you from the pressure of the seatbelt.

Sometimes pain can increase a while after an operation, but if it continues to get worse, have a word with your CNS or GP so that they can check you are healing as planned. 

Finally don’t overdo it! Those little homes on the outside represent major surgery inside! It’s fine to keep a bit mobile, but avoid the weight lifting for a bit - you’ll still be a bit tender.

Gusbunxxxxxxxxx

• I mean little holes!!! Ruddy predictive text, Grr

Gusbunxxxxxxxxx

• Hi Strong Oak,

I found after about 2 weeks my feeling came back, and I had strange feelings in my tummy area. It felt as if something was crawling under my skin. I had this feeling after I had shingles some years previously, so guessed it was nerve endings knitting together. But, if it doesn't improve ask about it. xxxx