New diagnosis

• 5 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m reaching out for some advice and to hear from those who might have had similar experiences.

A few months ago, I discovered a small ugly nodule on the inside of my buttock near my vaginal opening. Concerned, I visited my primary care provider, who referred me to a dermatologist. After a shave biopsy, I received the results: grade 2 squamous cell carcinoma.

I had an excision to ensure clear margins. During my visit, I asked the dermatologist why a spot not exposed to the sun would develop skin cancer. She explained it was caused by warts from the HPV virus. She recommended a follow-up with my gynecologist for a Pap test.

At my appointment on the 1st, my gynecologist found another lesion on my vulva. She said, “Due to your history, we will approach this aggressively to ensure we aren’t missing anything.” I’m scheduled for another biopsy in two weeks. The spot is white and cauliflower-like in appearance.

What does this mean? If it is squamous cell carcinoma again, could it be all over my reproductive system? My gynecologist mentioned it’s very rare for this to happen since I’m not immunocompromised and only 30 years old.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? What were your outcomes? What should I expect? 

I’m feeling quite anxious about this situation and would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences you can share.

Thank you so much!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read all that you've been through recently and I know what an anxious time waiting for tests and results can be.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for bringing my post back to the top of the discussion list. I truly appreciate your kindness and support during this anxious time.

I’ve followed your advice and updated my profile with information about my diagnosis and treatment to date. I hope this helps others who might be on a similar pathway and makes it easier for everyone to provide support and advice.

Thank you again for reaching out and for your helpful suggestions. It means a lot to me.

Best regards,
    BlossomSunshine

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I have a different type of gynaecological cancer-mine is cervical and is adenocarcinoma rather than squamous cell-but it nonetheless caused by the hpv virus.

This virus can cause issues in various locations, like the cervix, vagina, vulva and anal region which can be cancerous, and the biopsy on your vulval lesion will be tested to see exactly what it is.

I’m not sure it’s helpful to think of it as skin cancer, as squamous cell carcinoma is just a description used to describe a type of cancer which starts in skin cells but not something which is in your case connected to sun exposure for example.  It is a direct result of having this hpv virus in your system.

If the biopsy gives a positive result for cancer, there are a number of options which may be used in treatment, but your doctors would advise on that. You mentioned you visited your PCP, so I’m assuming you may not live in the UK? Things may be different in terms of what treatment you may have if you are not UK based.

You are young to be facing this, so my heart goes out to you-my daughters are older than you and as a mum I can only imagine how difficult I would find this happening to either of my girls. 

Please stick with us here in the group and the ladies will do their best to help support you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for sharing your experience. It’s comforting to hear from someone who understands what I’m going through, even if our cancers are different. Learning about how HPV can affect different areas like the cervix, vagina, vulva, and anal region has been eye-opening for me.

I appreciate your clarification on squamous cell carcinoma and its relation to HPV rather than sun exposure. It’s a lot to process, but I’m grateful for the knowledge and support.

Yes, I am in the US. I joined this group while researching and felt the need to connect with a community that truly understands. My mom is halfway across the country, and it’s been tough dealing with this without her nearby.

Thank you for your kind words and support. It means a lot to me. I look forward to being part of this group and learning from all of you.

Warm regards,

Blossom Sunshine 

• You are very welcome  and I’m glad you found the group here, where ladies can share their own experiences of this cancer and treatment. It’s very hard to be dealing with this alone, and especially with your mum being so far away.

Most of us are in the UK, as Macmillan is a UK based charity, but your location in the US will not be a barrier to getting support here any time. I notice you have also posted in the skin cancer forum, where you might also get support, but might suggest that the vulva forum will relate more specifically to your cancer, given its location. 

I look forward to you keeping us posted with how things go, and feel free to ask any questions here. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm