VIN III Laser Surgery: Post-Op Advice?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi All, I'm due for VIN III laser surgery in a couple of weeks and would really appreciate some practical information about post-op care. For a start: how do you get home from the hospital when you can't sit down due to burns on the area?! What have people done/ would you advise? Otherwise: through posts I've read on here, I've bought a sitz bath, squirt bottle, small ice packs, a donut cushion for sitting and a thingy to keep bed covers off the area initially. I see lots of mentions of Silvedene cream online - does that get prescribed in the UK for going home? With painkillers? Did you use witch hazel? Salt water? Epsom salts? And how bad was your pain on a scale of 1-10 in the first week? I've been given no post-op advice, so any/ all thoughts welcome ... it's all very new to me and I know nobody else with this weird condition so literally every little helps. Thanks!

• Felix1, wow good for you; you definitely did your research on this site to pull some great suggestions. Sounds like you are as prepared as you can be. You are so right that our medical people don’t prepare us for post op care; that’s why this site is invaluable! In the US the Silvadene (sp?) is prescription so not sure in UK. It has sulfa in it so be aware of that if you are allergic like I am and I found out the hard way from an intern who overlooked that in my chart. 

I would suggest you clear all your questions regarding the salt, epson salt, and witch hazel with your dr first. There may be a wait time to start that or they may say no.

keep us posted and you did a great job preparing; you got this brave warrior!!

Lisa

Lisa from USA Michigan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to elmslav

Thanks Lisa! You’re the first person I’ve ‘spoken’ to about it bar my consultant and it’s so kind of you to take the time to respond! I’ll do as you suggest and make a GP appointment to sort some of these queries, including cream for burns. All feels a bit surreal tbh but your support’s really appreciated. Just one question. How did you get home after your op?! Felix

• Felixs1, you are so welcome; I believe this is my calling now, to help other women. You have done so well preparing. 

I’m not sure if you mentioned these things so this might be repetitive. Remember to ask for a squirt bottle or two, here in the US they call them perineum bottles, you can use it to help with pain when you are peeing, also just for hygiene it feels good. I’ve heard other women from UK saying their doctors don’t approve the sitz bath. To get home I use a pillow or the blow up donut, I tilt the passenger seat so the end of the seat closest to the dash is tilted up and lay the back of seat back a ways so there isn’t pressure. My ride is 7 1/2-8 hrs one way so we make stops. Keep your bottle with you so you can fill with cool or warm water.

- at home I used a rocker recliner because you always want to stay at an angle and if possible have someone help you up. Now I have a lift chair but that’s not a necessity. I use a cool blow dryer after shower and peeing just to be sure you are dry.

We are all here for you. Xo

Lisa from USA Michigan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to elmslav

Hey that’s so helpful! I can’t believe how kind you are on here to share your experiences. I also can’t imagine facing into a journey that long after surgery. Amazing of you. Thanks so much for responding and I’m away to check the setting on the hair dryer - not sure there’s a cool setting so a good reminder! xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi 

You are so prepared you will be absolutely fine post op. I’ve had 3 incisions and 3 laser to the vulva Last laser treatment was 21st Dec. All I do is have 2 salt baths a day I don’t use creams I just keep the area as dry as possible. Takes around 4wks to heal. I haven’t found it overly painful to sit or walk about I do find I sit more to the side but you will find a comfy position that suits you I wear skirts instead of jeans and use liners in my pants until I’m healed up. The first one I didn’t know what to expect post surgery and was terrified  Now I find the laser is not as painful and easier to recover from compared to the insitions 

Will be thinking about you and hopefully all goes well 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Gosh. You've had such treatment, that's an incredible amount to have gone through. And you're still recovering presumably from the last one, so giving advice at this time is above and beyond! 

Are you using Epsom salt for your salt baths? I don't wear skirts ever but I've just bought a couple for the duration ... though I gather unless I'm very lucky I should just keep all this stuff as a kit for the future, I'll probably need it.

It's good to hear the laser might be a bit easier than the incisions. I know it's all just routine in medical terms, and not so much of a big deal in the big picture. But it's my first time out so to me, it feels a bit scary. So thanks for taking the time to respond, especially during your own recovery.

One last question, if that's OK? When people ask what treatment you're having, what do you tell them? I'm finding that a little - awkward.

All best xx

• Felixs1, I only had laser one time cuz it didn’t work for me but I agree that laser wasn’t as bad as you’d think. The burn cream seems to help a lot of people after laser... I am allergic to sulphate so could only use aquaphor. 

You will find that most people including women have no clue where their vulva is or what it is. They will ask why you don’t just have a hysterectomy! My response is normally, “I have a very rare form of female cancer or pre- cancer”. Some people want more details and that’s up to you who you want to share it with. If I say vulva and they have no clue I tell them it’s the area your fingers touch when you wipe yourself after peeing.

You are well prepared; you got this!

Lisa

Lisa from USA Michigan

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.