Care of wound

• 2 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi 

I had a biopsy done nearly a month ago and an abcess removed from same area on the vulva. It appeared to be healing ok as I was able to shower it daily and was mobilising as normal.

However nearly two weeks ago I found out my left hip is at risk of fracture due to a growth in the bone. I am currently waiting for surgery

I am.not allowed to weight bear so using crutches apart from trips to the loo I'm in bed all the time. Moving tentatively due to hip issues which means the sliding up and down the bed isn't helping vulva wound heal. I have been sitting on the loo and pouring water from jug over the area but struggling to dry it and can't keep it as clean as before. I can't see what the area looks like. 

I've asked for a district nurse to call but nearly a week and no sign.

Has anyone any advice about care of wound, best position to sit in. The wound is towards the back end so very awkward position. Have you had district nurse attend. 

Many thanks

Sue

• Hey, if no one will come out go to the hospital if you can with someone, dont leave it if u feel its getting worse, my partners wound took forever to heal, and we ended up in hospital as i though it had split but the non movement and extra weight had caused a bed sore , keep washing it like u are and using flannel to dry it best u can, or kitchen roll or a cool hairdryer. I can see its so tricky and i totally understand , keep caling for district nurses if u can 

• Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear you are having a few struggles.

This year after a biopsy, chemo & radiotherpy for vulva cancer, I couldn't get in or out of the bath & felt unstable standing in the shower. (I also have MS & bladder cancer).  I found a Sitz bath that you could put on the toilet seat quite helpful, (around £15 on Amazon). I dissolved dead sea salt in warm water in the Sitz bath & found this helped to keep the area clean & was soothing. 

I put a thick soft towel folded up on the bed & sat on it to help dry myself.

I also found Medihoney which the MacMillan Nurse at the hospital gave me really helped more than anything with the healing. 

Sitting down was so painful I had to lie down most of the time, often with a pillow under my lower back to help keep the pressure off the painful bits. 

I couldn't sleep on my side because it was so painful, so had to get used to sleeping on my back for a while until the radiation burns healed. 

I hope that you are doing ok & have managed to get an appointment for a District Nurse to come & see you. 

It's so easy to get an infection, so if you are not feeling any improvement please get yourself checked as you may need an antibiotic.  

Wishing you all the best in your recovery & impending operation.