Removal of lymph nodes

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi, so looking for some support and information from anyone who has had groin lymph nodes removed.

My partner has them removed few weeks back, and we have no idea what to expect with the healing, drain is all out and that is healing, but the mons pubis area is swollen and soild, is this normal? 
the scar is 5 inch and 80% healed maybe, but this solid area covering the whole pubis area is uncomfortable and sore when touched. We are fed up of people say call the hospital, they are not really any help, and thought there might be someone else who has exp the same thing 

• Hello Cleo23

I am sorry that your partner is experiencing discomfort after her lymph node removal.

I hope you don't mind me responding as my cancer was in my womb but I do remember my consultant warning me about a potential side effect of treatment with gynaecological cancers (especially where lymph nodes were removed) called lymphoedema. 

I am sorry that the hospital have not been much help but I wonder if it is something worth asking about?

I'll pop a link with some more info so you can see if it sounds a possibility. It could well just be expected healing, but it did ring a bell for me. I was told, particularly after my radiotherapy to pelvic lymph nodes to watch out for swelling, discomfort etc in the area that persisted or developed later on. I have not developed this (so far) but thought it might be helpful to mention it.

Lymphoedema treatment - lymphatic drainage massage, exercise | Macmillan Cancer Support

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hey, Sorry to hear that your partner is experiencing some discomfort. I had the same issue just recently.  I had a WLE and removal of lymph nodes 9 weeks ago and the scars in my groin are almost healed but still have some issues with my mons pubis. It was very swollen until 3 weeks ago and am still left with a solid area about the size of a fifty pence piece. I had this checked by my surgeon who said this was a build up of lymph fluid and will eventually disappear but do keep an eye on it for redness or feeling hot as this could indicate an infection. I found that ice wrapped in a towel did help.

i hope your heals well.

Feel free to ask any questions x

• Thank u! We r at week 5 or 6 , the redness and swelling and re opening of the wound was cellulitis, which no one warned us about!  Most swelling has gone down but she feels pain in her thigh and tightness and says her groin feels like a metal plate when moving, wound is 90% sealed, little bitnopen and weeping still. But i worry bout the tightness and hard bits, n not knowing if it will go… she really wants to get back to normal things and work but is exhasted and sore after 15 mins walking and still walks like peg leg pirate lol