VIN?

• 3 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I see people saying they are VIN3 or VIN2. What does this mean? Is this the cancer stage that they are?

I don't know what cancer stage I'm at, I forgot to ask my doctor.

I'm going in for surgery next week - 2 lumps on vulva each about 4cm, plus my lymph nodes are 'hot' so also being removed. What stage does that put me at?

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

VIN is not cancer, but it is a precancerous condition-basically abnormal cells on the vulva. It is given different levels such as 2 or 3 depending on how abnormal the cells are. these are cells which have the potential to turn cancerous if left untreated. 

I appreciate that you have posted about surgery for removal of some lumps-have you been diagnosed with vulval cancer? No-one here would be able to say what stage of cancer you have if it is cancer-this would depend on different factors so it’s best to have that confirmed by the surgeon/consultant. 

I hope things go well with your surgery-please let us know how you get on.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have it confirmed as cancer. I was getting confused with the VIN term. I'll talk to my doctor.

• I’m sorry you’ve had a cancer diagnosis, and hope the surgery will be sufficient to get rid of this completely. Definitely have a chat to your doctor when you go into hospital to confirm the stage. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm