Tips for radiotherapy and chemotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi ladies

I am due to start treatment for vulva cancer shortly. The plan is weekly chemo and daily radiotherapy for 5 weeks to vulva groin pelvis. 

I would be grateful for any advice and tips to help get through this treatment. 

Many thanks

Sue x

• Hello Sue

Have replied on the chemotherapy and radiotherapy forums for you, but if you need anything else please get in touch

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane

Thank you so much for replying to me and sharing your experiences of chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

I have just had a read through your posts. I am very grateful for all the detail you have included. A lot of information about the procedures which has really helped put my mind at rest. It is fear of the unknown that is causing me anxiety but you have offered reassurance that this is doable. 

Thank you very much for your kindness. I feel a lot less stressed having information from someone who has gone through it.

Take care

Sue x

• Hi  

I’ve also been been through chemotherapy and pelvic radiotherapy, but for cervical cancer. Do you know which chemotherapy drug(s) you will be having? 

My top tip would be comfortable and loose clothing so that cannula access is easy for chemo, and so that you can easily manage to go to the loo-you will be drinking a lot of fluid to keep your kidneys well flushed, and it’s not easy going to the loo while attached to a chemo drip! Wear something you can easily pull down one handed. 

I didn’t have to remove any clothing for radiotherapy, just wriggle my leggings and pants down a little, to make sure the tattoo dots could be lined up correctly. I also didn’t require enemas, but did need a full bladder for the treatment. All hospitals have slightly different protocols but you will get all the information you need from the staff before you start. 

Make sure that if you feel any side effects, you tell your team. Pelvic radiotherapy can cause bladder and bowel issues, but if you make sure your team is aware you can be prescribed various remedies to help. Some ladies however can manage to sail through without any ill effects. For me, the side effects started 3 weeks into treatment, but disappeared soon after treatment finished. I didn’t have any issues with my skin, but if you do you will get cream to help. It’s important to use the recommended cream, as some are not suitable for use during radiotherapy.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you-once you start you’ll soon get into the swing of it, and hopefully find it’s not as daunting as you fear.

Sarah xx 

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah

Thank you very much for your reply. It's really helpful hearing from people who have gone through it. Knowing what to expect takes away some of the anxiety.

Best wishes

Sue x