VIN 2 new diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers
  1. Hi all. I have recently been told I have VIN 2 and have an appointment with my consultant to discuss options on the 7th November. I haven't been told if it is dVIN or the other one. I have never had LS nor a positive HPV on my smear. I only know it's VIN because I contacted for clarity after my letter just said 'no invasive cancer but abnormal cells '. I'm driving myself mad trying to work out if it's possible to have the HPV VIN without ever having tested positive for HPV? Any thoughts? I'm only 43!
  • Hi  and welcome to the group

The simple answer is yes, you can have HPV VIN  without a diagnosis of HPV. Testing for HPV  at cervical smears has been a recent thing in the past few years, and prior to that, the screening tested for abnormal cells first, rather than HPV.

HPV can come and go-there is no cure, but the hope is that your immune system will get on top of it and suppress the virus/make it dormant. If it is active, it can cause cell abnormalities in various areas of the body, but most people who have HPV never know about it because it doesn’t cause them any issues. 

I’ve had an HPV driven cancer, but never been told I have HPV-I know I must have it because of my cancer, but no doctor has ever confirmed it. I hope you get some reassurance from your appointment.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Sarah and best of luck with your journey xx