Vaginal radiation

• 3 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello all!

looking for tips and advise on what works/doesn’t work for getting through radiation and chemo. My treatment starts in a week. My Dr recommend sitz baths and a prescription cream. Just really wanting recommendations from someone who has been through it.

Thank you so much!

• Hi ,

Unfortunately I don’t have any advice as I haven’t had chemo or radiation, however I wanted to wish you luck with your treatment. 

Hopefully someone with experience will come along soon. You may also find it helpful to call the Macmillan support line on the phone number below, where you could talk with a trained nurse who may be able to advise you. 

Best wishes,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello there.

I have had both chemo, weekly and radiotherapy daily for 5 weeks. This was almost 3 years ago.

I did pretty well until the last 2 weeks and the 2 weeks after treatment finished.

I was prescribed Flamazine cream which was really helpful. 

Also using a fan and no underwear - made sure the blinds were pulled!

What was amazing to me was that after it was finished the healing process was really quick and the discomfort was very quick to go.

So sorry you have to go through this - I wish you well and will happily answer any other questions if I can. X

• Hi BeeStrong

I had 5 weeks of chemo/radiotherapy in January. I found the chemo tablets made me really nauseous, having sweets to suck really helped on my journey to and from the hospital, plus little snacks of biscuits as my journey would sometimes be a 5- 6 hour round trip. 

I wasn't overly tired although I tended to nod off on the way home from treatment. My local ambulance service provided me with transport to/from London which was a huge relief. 

Probably week 3 I started getting sore, the radiotherapy nurses are brilliant and will check you weekly or whoever you want to talk! They gave me various creams to try at different stages. I had to wear a panty liner as was getting some weeping plus going for a wee started to get difficult as it was spray all over the sore bits. I ended up getting a she wee on ebay which was brilliant, its like a soft funnel to direct your wee, apparently they are used if your camping etc. Definitely get one it made weeing so much better and less sore. 

I used a bath salt that I got from sainsburys which helped with the soreness and weeping.  I ended up with blisters and found I couldn't sleep as it was all so uncomfortable. The nurses prescribed me piriton to help me sleep. 

This all sounds awful I know and I wasn't prepared for how it would be, but they are all short stages to get through and by 8 weeks after treatment I was back out walking the dog again. 

Be kind to yourself and go withhow your body feels, you will get through it.

Big hugs x