Worried sick

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 16 replies
  • 5 subscribers

I am really struggling with symptoms and worried so much I cannot sleep.

i have been suffering brown bloody discharge and fresh red bleeding between periods, I suffer daily with lower back pain, lower abdominal pain and left leg pain. The pain is quite horrific even with painkillers. I suffer leg numbness and tingling and my toes go numb

Sex causes bleeding, and pain throughout the day after sex. I  have discovered what seem like growths inside and connected to my vaginal wall, they have a cell bumpy like surface and I would say they have got larger in the past month to about the size of a grape. 

Now the problem I have is I went to the doctor with the bleeding and pain I was given a clear smear test just of the cervix. My question is “ would a vaginal cancer be missed by a cervical smear” I did not know I had the masses inside my vagina at the time of the smear about 7 months ago, however I have since been back to the doctor but she just said they are due to me getting older (36) and didn’t even examine me. She then referred me to physio for my back 

any advice would be so very gratefully appreciated. Thank you 

• hi

welcome to the online community, sorry you've had to come and find us

I'm from the breast group but I can empathise as my GP told me my symptoms were down to age and hormones.

I urge you to go back and insist on further tests.

Most often it is the right thing to do to tell someone that if things don't get any better or get worse to come back, how many times have I been told come back if it's not better in a week. 

A lot of things do clear up on their own. 

I didn't have a clear and obvious lump in my breast AND i'd had a clear mammogram in 2012, my first routine at 49, there was no real reason to suspect my symptoms were anything other than my age and hormones but once I'd got past the magic 50 mark breast cancer pops to the top of the list and you get seen quite quickly. 

36 isn't old, by the way, insist on getting a referral

big hugs

Carolyn

xxx

real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer/f/38/t/115457

Dr Peter Harvey

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Carolyn28

Thanks Carolyn, you’re very right sometimes you have to follow your gut and push people. My problem is I am not the most pushy person but I’m going to have to be. 

I read your story and it shows your determination

• Hi Belle 11,

I'm so  sorry to hear of all your symptoms and the distress and pain they have been causing you.

I would recommend you ask for a biopsy taken from the growths in your vagina.

In May 2012 I was suffering from bleeding and extreme throbbing pain in my vagina, bearing in mind I had no womb, ovaries, Fallopian tubes or cervix. I was brushed off by my doctor who told me it was my age etc. In September I pleaded with her to refer me to the hospital gynaecologist.

In December 2012 my doctor took a smear but I also had a biopsy taken at the hospital. My smear came back clear but my biopsy came back showing I had cancer in my vagina. It was Stage 2B.  I often think if my doctor had listened to me in May maybe I would not have required the 6 Chemo, 35 Radiotheraphy, 2 Internal Radiotherapy and Surgery.

Its better being safe than sorry. You have a right to ask to be referred. After all your doctor is not a Gynaecologist.  

Worry and anxiety are dreadful and it's so frustrating whenever your doctor tells you something stupid like it's your age! I pray you get your biopsy soon it will help to allievate your fears and indeed the gynaecologist may come up with a solution on how to remove these growths.

Im sending you great big hugs and please keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on.

God Bless

Carol x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Zebu dee

Hi carol 

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply to my post, I will follow your advice and I'm so very sorry you have been through so much, you sound like a very strong person.

thanks again xx

• Hi Belle 11 I'm sorry if I was too blunt in my reply to you.  I don't want the same thing happening to you. 

I'm 5 years clear, I have my problems but I'm alive and that's all that matters to me. I'm still with the same doctors surgery.

I still maintain that Doctors do not give their patients enough time to discuss their worries and fears. I know that they are extremely busy but before my diagnosis I came out of my appointments very angry and frustrated, feeling I had just wasted my time. Sometimes we have to shout a little louder to be heard. 

Praying your Doctor has their LISTENING EARS ON when you go for your next appointment.

I will be thinking and praying for you.  Take Care and God Bless.

Hugs and Kisses to you. XxHeart

• Hi Belle I was just wondering how you are?   Have you been referred for treatment and have any tests been carried out.

Your in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless xxx

Carol

• Hi Carol

I was fobbed for nearly 12 months until I went private and they discovered vaginal cancer, Id had a clear smear 12 months before (my tumor was huge 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock as my oncologist described it, if you imagine your vagina as a clock), what I'd like to know is why swabs of the vaginal wall cant be taken so that this cancer can be caught in its early stages? Why do I keep hearing that it "rare", when clearly its not just an "old ladies" cancer (I was 47 when it all started), which is what I was told, there are plenty of women in their 40s on here who are suffering...as you may note from my tone I'm quite angry about it but I'd like make a change if I can..

I'm a very private person, but I took the decision to put a lengthy post on my facebook wall on Mothers day and asked people to share, not comment or like, in the hope to raise awareness, to MAKE women pressure their GPs to refer them if they feel their is a problem, we know our own bodies! Up to  that point, only my family and close friends were aware of my cancer.

I still haven't had the all clear, just praying and hoping, but coming to terms with what might be, cautiously optimistic is what I say to people.

I hope that you have joy and happiness in your life, you come across as a very kind and beautiful person.

xx Shelley.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Zebu dee

Hi sorry for the late reply the doctor finally acknowledged the vaginal lumps but sent me for a vaginal ultrasound where I was informed that only gynecology deal with that, they proceeded to do the scan anyway looking at the womb ovaries etc and did find a mass this was 7 days ago. GP has not been in touch the ultrasound lady said she would also write them a lettter stating I need to be seen by a gynecologist for the growths on the vagjnal wall, I have been ignored messed about and just worry they would hurry up.

I have now complete uncontrolled bleeding where it flows like weeing yourself would I fill a tena lady night in about 40 mins. The pain is completely debilitating on a daily basis in my lower back and thighs alongside strong cramps and shooting pains in the uterus and vagina.

Thanks again for your concern xxxx 

• hi

this level of bleeding isn't sustainable

can I urge you to call your local A&E and get advice

is someone with you ?

Carolyn

xxxx

real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer/f/38/t/115457

Dr Peter Harvey

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

• Hi Bell

Get to A&E, explain the situation, they have gynecologists at the hospital, no woman should have to put up with this! 

I do hope you get things soryrd.

Xx Shelley