I dont know what to say. Feeling helpless

• 5 replies
  • 25 subscribers

My sister has just been diagnosed Triple negative with spread into lymph node.  Shes waiting on PET scan results.  Prepping for chemo to start but no set plan jn place yet until scan result is with oncology.  Shes understandably feeling totally broken.  We’re all in shock & devastated for her to have to go through this.  We’re only a small family so support network is small too.  Im just at a loss as to how to help her, what to say.  I feel utterly helpless !!

• Hi Buccaneer31 welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear about what is happening for your family. Until she has a plan of treatment it feels totally outwith your control and that's the hard part. Once she has that plan she will know whst happening, why and when. It sounds like you are a close family and all you can do right now is just be there for each other, hugs never go wrong but don't treat her any differently, just love her as you always have done, she possibly needs that more than anything right now.. Sparkling heart 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for that Granny59, your words are very much appreciated.  We’re only a small family but we’ll rally round & provide all the love & support she needs.  I’m sure once her treatment plan is in place then she’ll find some focus, at the moment it’s all just so overwhelming for her x

• Hi Buccaneer 

I was very upset with my diagnosis for TNBC in May. The stats aren't great but they are old numbers generally and there are steps your sister can take to have more control over her outcome. For instance, research indicates that a low fat, Mediterranean diet might help with recurrence rates. Plus exercise. I only walk now- i stopped running and swimming.

My sister boyght me kefir and did all the research for me on diet. My daughter bought me cookbooks and a meditation book. There are resources out there to help. 

I'm having chemo, meeting some incredible patients and feeling my lumps shrink (I hope). 

It is a shock but with time and more certainty and treatment, your sister will feel more empowered. Coming on forums has also given me strength and hope.

Wishing you all the best.

• Hi, just being there is what your sister needs. I’m being treated for TNBC and my family is small but honestly they couldn’t have done any more for me. Messages/phone calls checking on me. Attending meetings with me (sometimes you end up feeling information overload as a patient so having someone else there really helps).  

• Hi Devon62. Many thanks for your message, it is very much appreciated.  We’re all picking up lots of helpful tips & advice on various forums, there’s information overload at the minute but I’m sure once she starts her treatment plan then she’ll start making more sense of everything & figure out what will work for her.  Sending you strength & prayers too for your journey ahead.  Praying those lumps keep shrinking !! xx