TNBC and BRCA 1 gene aged 35 and undergoing chemo

• 4 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi everyone! I’m new here, aged 35 having been diagnosed in September with stage 2, grade 3 triple negative breast cancer and tested positive for the BRCA 1 gene. I have two, 2cm tumours in my right breast and at least 4 lymph nodes affected. I have undergone 12 cycles of paclitaxel and caroboplatin along with immunotherapy and recently had my first of 4 cycles of EC and it’s really taken its toll on me mentally and physically. I have cold capped all the way and managed to get through the first 12 cycles without any hair loss but it has already started falling out after my first cycle of EC. I also got neutropenic sepsis and pneumonia on Xmas day and spent 4 days in hospital. Now I’m concerned that I have damage to my lungs that won’t heal as I still have moments of breathlessness or tight chest, has anyone on here experienced chest issues with their chemo treatments? I will be having a double mastectomy and removal of tubes and ovaries. 
thanks everyone

• Hi Lauren1

Welcome to the forum  and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and that you were unwell recently.  I have moments of breathlessness when I walk up the stairs at home or  walk too far.  I suggest that you ring your chemo ward tomorrow and explain your systems to them and they'll be able to help you.

Wishing you the best of luck with the rest of your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your response Hugging I’m actually at the Christie’s tomo for my next dose so I’ll chat to them again about my side effects, I think the recent complications with the sepsis and pneumonia are just taking a little longer to heal. It’s just very scary wondering if this is just how I’ll feel forever now and of course it could be the immunotherapy but I’ll chat through it all with them. 

• Hi Lauren I’m going to be having my chemo at Christie’s. Starting w/c 5th February. I’m having 12 cycles of Paclitaxel and carboplatin like you have had. This will be followed by 4 cycles of EC. 

• Hi  

I’ve just finished 3 cycles of EC followed by 3 cycles of Docetaxel. I am ALWAYS out of breath. I’m 38 and am a teacher so always on my feet. I’ve been floored by the chemo and now can’t do much without getting tired and out of breath. Going up stairs in my house kills me some days. I cried the other day as I just don’t feel right. I know it’s the chemo and I need to give my body time to heal but it seriously worries me. 

Not sure how I’m going to cope going back to work when this is all done.