TNBC

• 2 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hiya,

This is my first post on a blog and found that choosing a name was the first challenge, I love to snowboard and the mountains,  a Betty is slang for a female snowboarder. Sure I’ll regret the choice!!!

Onto the cancer stuff, I’m 53 and am currently undergoing treatment for my third TNBC in 30 years. My first at 23, then 32 and 52. Genetic tests have come back negative, I must just be really lucky.

I am hoping by sharing my experience it helps someone reading.

My first 2 cancers were in the same area, treated by a  lumpectomy, chemo, radiotherapy the first time only.  The current tumour found in a different area of the same breast.

The first occurrence due to my age wasn’t taken seriously, so no mammogram or biopsy, the day surgeon had a shock!! The words ‘we found something we didn’t expect to find in your age’ the explanation. Due to the time elapsed (5 months) there was spread through lymph nodes. I found my other tumours fairly early,  so no lymph node spread. 

I am in chemo cycle 7 of 8, completed 4 EC and moved onto Paclitaxel Carboplatin.  To be followed by mastectomy, decisions starting this month. No immunotherapy, as I already have 3 autoimmune conditions.

Doing ok with chemo, slight neuropathy in hands and feet but tablets helping along with a decreased dose of Paclitaxel, else just the usual tiredness, nausea and hair loss (have found uses for my multitude of scarves). Having a blood transfusion Tuesday as my HB is low, what fun!!

Sorry, this seems a really long message.

Hoping to be in the mountains soon.

Take care xxx

• Hi Alpine Betty 

I’m really sorry that you find yourself back in the club !! But OMG I can’t believe it’s your 3rd TNBC in 30 yrs !! It sounds a strange thing to say but it gives us fellow TN ladies some hope .I wish you all the very best with your treatment and I’m sure you will smash it again take care and sending you a big hug xx

• Hi Alpine Betty

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with TNBC for the third time.  No need to apologise for the long message.  The more you tell us the easier it is to support you should you need support.

Wishing you the best of luck with the rest of your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge