Going out

• 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hiya ive been diagnosed with triple breast cancer and had my first chemo i go every week for 12 weeks ive had really bad heartburn and fatigue and a bit achy up to now  but ok ..am i ok to go out to meet a friend for coffee ? Thanks 

• Hi  

I was diagnosed with TNBC this time last year and had a lumpectomy followed by chemo and then radiotherapy.

While I was having my chemo I basically followed the same rules that had been in place during covid to minimise my chance of picking up an infection that would delay my chemo. So things like, I met with friends for a coffee but we sat outside. If they felt unwell then we'd reschedule the meet-up. Basically, you just need to be sensible in what you do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thankyou latchbrook yes thats a good idea about treating like covid i didnt really want to stay in for  12 weeks this is all new to me loads of imformation to asborb x

• That is what I am currently doing. Fortunately as the weather gets better, more options for socializing outside. My oncologist encourages it as long as I’m following COVID-like safety precautions. I wear a mask everywhere and am not going anywhere with large numbers of people - haven’t eaten inside at a restaurant since starting chemo, for example. Will only go to the grocery store in the middle of a work day when it is less busy. And if a friend comes over to my place, we both wear masks. I also invested in a couple of Hepa filters which get rid of 99.5% of nasty germs in the air. 

Not gonna lie though, I’m going stir crazy (I live alone). Esp during the day when friends are at work. I am also getting neuropathy which limits the amount of walking / being on my feet I can do. I’ve just finished the Taxol so fingers crossed, the neuropathy fades in time. Being able to get out and walk at least will make SUCH a difference. 

• Hi  

I definitely recognise the 'going stir crazy' feelings and I had my husband to talk to. As we live in a village I tried to go out for an hours walk every day if the weather was good and I was feeling up to it. Fortunately, I didn't get any horrible side effects from chemo and, like you, had been advised to remain active as this could help with neuropathy.

I also avoided restaurants and it's been lovely recently to be able to start going our 'properly' again. Grocery shopping we did online to avoid contact in supermarkets as hardly anyone was wearing a mask.

All the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"