First time chemo

• 20 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hello 

first chemo 17th April any thoughts on cold cap & any tips for a first timer 

• I tried the cold cap but hated it. I asked them to remove it ASAP. But it's different for everyone so just try it. All the best xx

• Thank you, I’ll keep thinking about it Blush

• I’m using it - had two rounds of EC and due a third today before I move on to weekly paclitaxel. If you can tolerate the first ten minute brain freeze then you can probably manage it is what I would say from my experience. The trick is to distract yourself with something in that first ten minutes.

Wear warm clothes and ask for a heat pad for your lap.

I still have all my hair - even though my consultant said I wouldn't! , especially as my hair is fine. I think the odds are 50/50

I would say give it a go but don't feel bad if you need them to take it off - lots of people choose not to progress with it feeling the treatment is enough to contend with and I totally get that. Im just incredibly stubborn!!!! 

• Thanks for your reply & advice. My hair is very fine too. I’ve always dyed my hair so it’s going to be odd having grey hair! 

• I found a hairdresser that uses vegan dye without the chemicals in that they suggest we need to stay away from. I got my hair dyed a couple of weeks ago after I started my treatment . My hair hadn’t come out an was looking grey and i wasnt ready for it - looks great now!

• Good morning Turtles and sad you find yourself on this website but you are amongst friends Blush  First chemo is always worrying but you will soon get into a routine and you kinda accept it as " the norm! "

Wear warm clothes as you will be sitting around for some time,  drinks, nibbles ( although i was given lunch ) book and ipad to keep yourself occupied.  Try and book your appt for the same day of the week, that way you will get to know ladies and have a natter.  Just take one session at a time,  i kept a diary from session one,  how i felt,  what meds helped, jotted down anything really.

You dont say what your treatment plan is ?  I had 12 weekly paclitaxel and every 3 week was added carboplation.  One more thing is to drink LOADS of fluids to help flush out the body and keep you hydrated.  We're talking around 3 litres daily but i can be any fluids,  i wrote down how much i drank in a day,  tea, coffee, water, squash, i even included milk on my cereal !!
    good luck for 17th April,  small steps to stsrt with.  If you wanna ask anything please do.

from a former TNBC warrior MuscleLaughing

• Thank you for your helpful reply. I read on a cancer website  that you can’t wash your hair 3 days before & 3 days after if using the cold caps. Do you know if this is correct & something you had to do? Also how long do you have to wear it before the treatment starts? 

I’ve got to have AC x4 every 3 weeks then Paclitaxel & Carboplatin every week for 12 weeks. Then Radiotherapy. 

thanks Blush

• Thank you so much for the really helpful information. 
    I’ve got to have AC every 3 weeks x4 then Paclitaxel & carboplatin every week for 12 weeks.

Then radiotherapy for 3 weeks. 

I’ve written in a diary since 1976 so I will definitely write about my chemo journey. 

did you change your diet at all? 

what’s  TNBC? Thinking

best wishes 

• Hi Turtles

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer.

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Daisy53 you’ve had one hell of a journey so glad all is good now. Good luck with your mammogram this month. 
    best wishes 

Turtles