Increase in tumour size after Chemo

• 64 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hello I have just joined the group in the hope that someone is having a similar experience/or already been through the same as me and can offer some encouragement.  I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast cancer end October 2020.  My treatment plan is two phases of Chemo, followed by a removal of the tumour and then breast saving operation followed by 21 days of radiotherapy.  I finished my 1st phase of Chemo which was 4 x ACdd (Doxorubicine and Cyclosfosamide). I had the MRI scan once this treatment was finished but unfortunately the tumour hasn't shrunk in fact it has doubled in size!  This has really given me a knock as I just didn't expect to hear the bad news I just assumed the chemo would work.  Has anyone else had the same case.  I have now been told the breast will be removed ( possibly both depending on the results of the genetic testing).  I have started the second phase of chemo treatment which is 12 weeks of Paclitaxel.  Of course all my hopes are pinned on this working but its a waiting game and I am finding it hard to handle the not knowing.  

Would love to hear from anyone going through the same ordeal.

• Hello FaithDe nice to hear from you.  I am wishing you all the best with the rest of your chemo and please let me know your results after the scan.  How you feeling?  Hope the side effects are manageable?  Stay strong.

• Thank you for your encouragement, the only side effects I've had with this treatment is a fever the day after each infusion.  I have been to the hospital a couple of times but no infection found so it seems that this is a side effect of the drug.   Numbness in hand and 2 fingers is ongoing which I've been told could be the tumour pressing on the nerve.  Apart from this I seem to be managing ok.  I'm just hoping for some good news this time Slight smile

• Sounds familiar, I had to go to hospital twice with fever, temperature and chills but they couldn't find an infection.  I had to have a Covid test as well as they are similar side effects to the Corona Virus!  The waiting is nerve wracking and completely understand.  Keep me posted I want to know how you are getting on and wishing you all the strength.

• Hello FaithDe, just checking in to see how you are progressing with your treatment?  How are you feeling?  x

• Hi not very good at the moment.  The latest chemotherapy did not work and again progression of the tumour and fluid on the lung.  As I am not experiencing breathlessness they do not feel it necessary to admit me to drain the fluid.  I am not waiting to see if I am suitable for a clinical trial or they are going to try and throw some more drugs at it to see what can be done to get this stubborn tumour to shrink.  In a great deal of pain and struggling to use my right hand as the tumour is sitting on the nerves causing numbness in my arm and a few fingers.  Emotionally and mentally drained at the minute.  Hopefully I will have some decisions next week. Trying to remain positive but some days are extremely tough.  How are you doing?  

• No wonder you are emotionally and mentally drained.  I wish the doctors could help with your pain, is there nothing they can give you?  I really hope they make some decisions for your next week, the waiting is awful.  Please do let me know how you are getting on and I hope you are also getting the mental support you need from family, friends and of course talking to people like me who have been through similar ordeals.  I am okay, having a bit of trouble with nausea and vomiting due to the Chemo tablets but it seems under control again. I am on my 5th cycle now three more to go after this one.  I am thinking of you and I know it's really difficult to stay positive but keep fighting x

• Thank you @Coco66, I have today been given an increase in Zomorph to see if that helps.  Also tablets for constipation as that is another problem.  I'm hoping that they can make an arrangement for me to work with the palliative care team to try and get this pain under control.  Yes definitely have a great network of family to help me and so grateful for you and everyone on this site with so much knowledge and information to help keep my mind on track and to know that I am not alone.  Thank you so much.

• Hope everything is going ok Himalaya?

• Hi there. I'm on my phone and prefer my ipad so will write a longer response later today. 

Had an appt with onco last week and tumour has shrunk a bit....but she was squinting.....so this may not in fact be accurate!! She doesn't say anything positive. I actually thought it was bigger, without poking and prodding too much. Round 3 of EC this week. Moving onto Carbo and plaxi wotsit next which sounds grim.

The overwhelming sense of TNBC doom and gloom is my biggest problem. How the hell do folk manage to live in the present? Am struggling with this as I can't speak to my family.

I'll respond to your post Faithde later today once my ipad is charged. Just touching base.

Himalaya