Increase in tumour size after Chemo

• 64 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hello I have just joined the group in the hope that someone is having a similar experience/or already been through the same as me and can offer some encouragement.  I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast cancer end October 2020.  My treatment plan is two phases of Chemo, followed by a removal of the tumour and then breast saving operation followed by 21 days of radiotherapy.  I finished my 1st phase of Chemo which was 4 x ACdd (Doxorubicine and Cyclosfosamide). I had the MRI scan once this treatment was finished but unfortunately the tumour hasn't shrunk in fact it has doubled in size!  This has really given me a knock as I just didn't expect to hear the bad news I just assumed the chemo would work.  Has anyone else had the same case.  I have now been told the breast will be removed ( possibly both depending on the results of the genetic testing).  I have started the second phase of chemo treatment which is 12 weeks of Paclitaxel.  Of course all my hopes are pinned on this working but its a waiting game and I am finding it hard to handle the not knowing.  

Would love to hear from anyone going through the same ordeal.

• Thank you so much , I will raise all concerns with the oncologist so at least it is clear in my head and what options are available to me.   I'm so happy you are recovering well and no side effects.  Take great care and a big hug back to you.Hugging

• Hello FaithDe

Just checking in to see how you are progressing?  Have you met with your oncologist since we last communicated?  I do hope so and you have been able to have a chat and hopefully eased some of your worry.  I forgot to mention the first time that my tumour doubled in size in between my initial diagnosis and my first course of chemotherapy but they continued with the second course but my tumour was chemo resistant and that is why they stopped it and brought my surgery forward.  I was lucky that it hadn't spread and my margins were clear so perhaps the chemo did do something will never know.  So I understand you can be feeling like there is no hope, just like I did.  I thought that was it but then within a space of a few weeks so much changed.  So please don't lose hope just yet, I am sure your doctors are doing everything possible to make you well.  Hope to hear from you soon x

• Hi thank you so much.  My only option at the moment is to try and get these tumours to a size where we can go to surgery.  I wasn't told what size they had increased to and at the time I didn't think to ask, I think it was the shock and disappointment that the chemo didn't work.  My CT scan showed that it hadn't spread anywhere else it's just the increase in size and the constant pain that has shaken me.   As you say we can't lose hope, have to keep fighting through this.  How are you?  I really do hope you the side effects remain minimal if any.  Take great care, enjoy the sunshine and have a lovely weekend Smiley

• Hi there,

Ive just been reading this thread and I may be in a similar position...not responding to chemo. Still early days but onco wants to see me in person, which I don’t like the sound of.  She’s on holiday until 22nd Sept alas. Such awful waiting times we all have to endure.

How have things progressed for you?

This  is my first post....hopefully the others can see this too. I’d like to hear of any progress so we can continue to support each other.

Himalaya

• Hi there,

How are you getting on? I think I will be on the same path as yourself. Did the mastectomy go well for you. Hope you are taking life easy.

• Himalaya

• Hello Himalaya, that is not nice to hear but is sounds like it early days with your treatment?  What information have you been given, has the tumour stayed the same size?  I had to stop my 2nd phase of chemo as my tumour was changing and they doctors decided to bring forward my mastectomy.  Thankfully the margins were clear and it hadn't spread so perhaps the chemo did help in that regard.  I have recovered from my mastectomy and am now on chemo tablets.  I am planning reconstructive next year some time once I have finished the chemo tablets which ends middle of December.  My hair is starting to grow back and I don't feel too bad.  Have some side effects from the tablets but compared with my 1st phase of chemo they are mild.  Do keep me updated after you speak to the oncologist but try not to worry until you speak to the doctor., I know that is easy to say.  It's not nice being in limbo and I also hated the waiting, but the doctors will do everything to look after you.  Ask all the questions you need to, write them down so you don't forget.   What is your actual diagnosis?

• Hi there,

Ive only had one round of chemo, but the onco more or less told me she wasn’t expecting it to work and would therefore try a different drug....then mastectomy. I think I’ve more or less told myself that the treatment won’t work now and I fear the ‘mopping up’ of stray cells process won’t happen. I wish the onco wasn’t on holiday....waiting until the 22nd is a long old wait. 
    Hope you are doing ok and taking it easy

Himalaya

• I meant to ask, what did they suggest when they said you were chemo resistant (why does this happen?). Did they go straight into surgery with you from there?

Thank you!

Himalaya

• The doctor can't answer to that question unfortunately, I have TNBC which is particular aggressive so the tumours can be chemo resistant.  I was supposed to wait a month after my last chemo treatment to have surgery but because it was so aggressive they brought it forward by two weeks.  I feel so lucky they managed to remove it all.  I can understand you are feeling very anxious and scared having to wait.  I don't think it is right you are left in limbo while your doctor is on holiday.  Is there no one else you can call?  I am always able to call the Oncology helpline at the hospital if I have any queries or issues.  I also had a designed nurse from the Mammacare clinic I could also contact.  I should say I live in the Netherlands so I don't know if it a bit different from the UK but you should talk to someone.  Even call the Macmillan helpline if you need to talk to someone that is what they are there for.  Let me know how it goes.

• Hi and .   sorry to hear what you are currently going through.  There is definitely a lot of support on this site and when you call Macmillan helpline.  I'm going through chemo at the moment hoping that the tumour will shrink enough to at least allow me to have surgery.  I'm the same as triple negative breast cancer.  I have a few more sessions of chemo to go and then will have a scan to determine what the next stage of treatment is. I hope you have managed to contact someone else in the absence of your oncologist?  It is always the waiting that causes the stress more than anything else.  Wishing you all the best throughout your treatment too.