Help has anyone else been diagnosed with induced immunotherapy hepatitis

• 8 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi all I have just spent 6 days in hospital with oral thrush and induced immunotherapy hepatitis which is raised lft in blood was on iv steroids but finally allowed home yesterday on oral steroids for 2 months but since discharge now developed diarrhoea like 8 times in 10 hours so think I’ll be back in hospital very soon any one else experience this

• I had a serious adverse immunotherapy event from Pembrolizumab which started last September. In my case the initial obvious damage was to kidneys and thyroid. Also hospitalised, IV steroids followed by oral steroids. 7 months later I am still weaning the steroids, it’s taken far longer than I expected because it has had to be done very slowly. At some points I have had to return to a slightly higher dose. The event caused major inflammation all over the place, some of which only revealed itself when the steroid dose became too low to suppress it. I have pneumonitis. I have inflammation in my spine causing some loss of feeling in my left leg. If all goes well I have another 3 weeks to run on the steroid wean.

It sounds like you have colitis, another lovely common result when this happens. Fortunately mine never got worse than a lot of wind generation. 

I wish you all the best in recovering as well as you can. I think it’s highly likely it will also have worked well on your cancer - that was the good thing to come out of my experience. Of course I had to stop the immunotherapy. 

I have blogged my way through my ‘journey’. The immunotherapy IRAE entries start in Sept 23. community.macmillan.org.uk/.../a-trip-with-triple-negative-breast-cancer

• Hi thanks for sharing your experience it’s a bit rubbish I got out of hospital but back in is colitis the diarrhoea do you think and horrible stomach ache I am back on iv steroids for now until I see doctors tomorrow 

• Sorry you are going through this. It does sound like colitis but hopefully they can find a way to relieve it. Have you also been on Pembrolizumab?

• Yes still on it had it twice due again on 10th

• Mine was stopped after my event. I had had 6 infusions. 

• Ok he said on Friday if things didn’t improve may have to stop and of course been brought back into hospital now so will see what tomorrow brings

• Hope you have as easy a night as possible. I know how awful it is to be on high dose steroids! I had weeks of jitteriness, poor sleep, not being able to taste anything, worrying about side effects from the steroids themselves. Hope you are able to reduce dosage more rapidly than I was able to.