TNBC over 60 but no chemo

• 19 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Having read some threads on this forum I’m wondering why chemo wasn’t part of my treatment. I was initially diagnosed with high grade DCIS but following mastectomy it changed to grade 2 invasive carcinoma NST. Triple negative.  I had radiotherapy but the consultant said chemo was discussed but decided against. ( I didn’t pursue as I was terrified of chemo so relieved when he said this). Is it my age (66) that has determined this? I’m pretty healthy otherwise - no other medications. However I’m am struggling post surgery ((June) and rads (August) with chest tightness and swelling and now COVID. Been in bed for over a week now - too much time on my hands to overthink. Been reading too many scary things on Google about TNBC. Everything I read suggests chemo is always part of the treatment.

• Hi  

Because everyone's treatment plan is tailored to their own circumstances, although there are guidelines issued by NICE which have to be followed, I'd recommend giving your BCNS a call so that she can tell you why chemotherapy hasn't been recommended in your case 

I was diagnosed with TNBC 2 years ago and the original treatment plan didn't include chemo. However, this charged when a small deposit of cancer cells was found in one of my lymph nodes.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Beth I have just joined this forum and saw your post. I have read that with TNBC you always have chemo and that’s the question I was going to ask. I was offered chemo but the way the oncologist spoke it didn’t seem like a big deal. He has booked my space for two weeks time and he said that would give me time to think about it. I’m a bit confused as everywhere you look it tells us we need chemo to fight the aggressive form of bc. My bc nurse is due to phone me and I will be asking her what she thinks. I know it’s always our choice but I didn’t expect to be given a choice like that. If I were you I would ask bc nurse why they decided not to give you chemotherapy. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s coming down to finances x

• Hi Cranky

There was something on the news about a week ago saying older people in UK (I’m 66!) are much less likely to be offered chemo or radiotherapy than our European counterparts. Maybe it is cost, I don’t know. With me, my original post biopsy diagnosis was high grade DCIS 5 cms. Because of size it had to be a mastectomy. Post surgery results showed some multi focal microinvasion of no specific type but triple negative.I didn’t ask why no chemo - I was just so glad it wasn’t considered a requirement. I’m struggling 9 months on from mastectomy and rads pain, tightness and limited arm mobility. I’m not sure I could take chemo on top.  

• I’m sorry I did reply earlier but it wasn’t allowed. I spoke to bc nurse today and asked what she would do  if given the choice, she said if she was fit and healthy she would go for it. Don’t understand then why you were not offered it as my tumour was only 11mm. I think even though you are relieved not to have it I would still want to know why it wasn’t offered. Maybe there was a good reason for it x

• Thanks Cranky

Did you get chemo before or after surgery? The largest tumour found post surgery for me was 3.5mm. I assumed because I had already had surgery then it maybe too late for chemo. Also the tumour was very small. 

• Maybe that’s why then. I thought your lump was 5cm if it was 5mm that’s different I guess. I’ve had lump removed, clear margins and lymph nodes but have been offered chemo. Lump was 11mm. I have to start chemo on 15th March then radiotherapy. I still thought chemo was always offered for TNBC. Maybe not, think I would still ask why not x

• Thanks

yes it was the DCIS that was large ( 7.5 cms) but that’s pre cancerous I believe. They didn’t know until post surgery about the micro invasion. I will ask at some stage. Xx

• Hi I have not been on the site for some time and so have only just read your post.  I was diagnosed with TNBC and was given 2 different responses.  My local hospital mastectomy and no chemo and Guy's hospital definitely chemo.  I was under Guy's thankfully for genetic counselling and asked to be refereed back to them for my cancer treatment.  Just pleased I was. I am BRACA 2 and had a double mastectomy with implants.

I am angry about the local hospital but have moved on.  I have learnt cancer treatment is a postcode lottery.  Always get a second opinion if in doubt.

All the best   

ricki
  • Hi 

I was diagnosed last March with grade 3 TNBC small tumour 1.6 had lumpectomy chemo and radio. 
    they told me that all TN have chemo !! I was happy to have anything going .

• I have been diagnosed with TNBC, cancer is 2.5 cm have been told its chemo x 8 lumpectomy and breast reconstruction then Radiology.