TNBC over 60 but no chemo

• 22 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Having read some threads on this forum I’m wondering why chemo wasn’t part of my treatment. I was initially diagnosed with high grade DCIS but following mastectomy it changed to grade 2 invasive carcinoma NST. Triple negative.  I had radiotherapy but the consultant said chemo was discussed but decided against. ( I didn’t pursue as I was terrified of chemo so relieved when he said this). Is it my age (66) that has determined this? I’m pretty healthy otherwise - no other medications. However I’m am struggling post surgery ((June) and rads (August) with chest tightness and swelling and now COVID. Been in bed for over a week now - too much time on my hands to overthink. Been reading too many scary things on Google about TNBC. Everything I read suggests chemo is always part of the treatment.

• I was diagnosed in October of last year with grade 2 TNBC and had 2 opinions both to have chemo first followed by an operation then radiotherapy. 

• Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

I’ve looked into this further and it seems it’s not always necessary to have chemo. My cancer type was T1a N0 M0 so very early stage with no node involvement. Various studies have been completed looking at the benefits of chemo on this type of triple negative and there doesn’t appear to be any results to suggest it’s a must have. Indeed one survey (BMC Cancer) says “ Our study found that adjuvant chemotherapy is not beneficial and might even be detrimental to T1aN0M0 BC patients.“

So I’m happy there’s a good reason not to be offered chemo. 

• Hi 

I've just been to see my oncologist today re having chemo for my grade 3 TNBC no node involved cancer and can't decide what to do. The odds don't seem much better versus the side effects. Has anybody any advice?

• Hi, I was diagnosed with grade 2 TNBC in October of last year and was advised to have chemotherapy first which I have now nearly completed and will then have an op followed by radiotherapy. My tumour has shrunk by half and I’m over the moon. Ive lost my hair( shaved off in the end) and have dry skin and will probably lose my finger nails but no sickness or any other major side effects. I had two options both suggesting chemotherapy first and I’m happy with doing this and dealing with the side effects knowing that the tumour is being blasted away! Hope that helps and good luck with whatever you decide xx 

• Hi  

I was borderline for chemo after having surgery for grade 3 TNBC. I decided that if my oncologist was willing to agree to it, which he was, I wanted to do everything I could to try and stop it recurring.

I know I was lucky but, apart from loosing my hair which quickly grew back again, I didn't suffer from any of the side effects you read about.

Although it meant I was having treatment for another 5 months I'm happy to know that I've done as much as I can to prevent a recurrence.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks to you for your support. I've decided to accept chemo after reading your responses. It was my 70th birthday yesterday and I'm hoping that by my 71st I'll be in a better place.

Eevee

• That's great that you've been able to come to a decision you're happy with  and I'll keep everything crossed for no major side effects.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Glad it have been able to make a decision good luck x

• Hi BethS, In answer to your question it’s nothing to do with your age as I’m in the same boat and am 66. 
    Id hate to think it’s a postcode lottery !
    Good luck either way xx

• Hi Beth, sorry to hear of your journey. I’m 55, also TNBC, three weeks post surgery 3mm tumour, lymph nodes clear. I have been offered radiotherapy and not chemotherapy, I understand this to be due to the size and stage. I’m relieved to avoid the treatment to be honest and am even concerned about the side effects of radiotherapy. The waiting and lack of control is similar to psychological warfare and that, my dear, is the major battle most of us are struggling with. Wishing you a speedy recovery.