Question on Sore scalp

• 5 replies
  • 21 subscribers

I had my first dose of chemo and two weeks down the line now I am loosing hair but my scalp is very sore. Feels tender to touch especially when I lay on the pillow. Any advice or tips please ? Thank you in advance 

• Hi

I'm sorry to hear that your scalp is very sore. That must be very unpleasant.

I can't help with your question but you might like to post it in the chemotherapy thread in the main breast cancer group. If you'd like to do this then you'll need to join the group first before you can post to the thread. I've created links to both the group and the thread for you.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello TNBC50

I had a very sore scalp too. I found if i wore silk type chemo sleep caps it helped alot. Also cotton pillowcases. I got the sleep caps off Amazon. I used to rub aveeno moisturizer into my scalp as well.

Hope this helps,

Julie x 

Charlieandlola
  • Hi Julie

Thank you for all the tips. Will try them. Good luck and best wishes that your treatment goes well and you recover fully. 

• Hi TNBC50, I had this when I was on weekly paclitaxel (apparently the taxane group of chemo is especially bad for it) It's due to the hair follicles starting to die off.  My scalp became very sore in the end with red angry lumps - the oncologist prescribed a low strength salicylic acid cream to apply which was very soothing.  The lumps went down within a week and I had no further problems during the remainder of my chemo. Hopefully yours won't get this bad - I don't think this is a common side effect!  Wishing you well for the rest of your chemo treatment.x

• Snap TNBC50.  Was going to shave it off today but overnight scalp got very sore.  So wearing a cotton turban to hold the remaining of the thinning locks til they are gone.  I have soothing aloe gel at the ready but not sure I relish the thought of matting what little hair I have left to my already sore scalp!