Multifocal papillary thyroid cancer at 24

• 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi, I’m 24 and was diagnosed in March with multifocal papillary thyroid cancer after a right hemithyroidectomy. I then had to have my completion thyroidectomy about 2-3 weeks ago now! I’m now on 125 mcg of levothyroxine. I just thought I’d put a message on here to see if there’s any other people of a similar age and situation to me as I still don’t feel like it’s sunk it that I have cancer at 24. I’m currently waiting to find out if I have to have RAI and will hopefully find out next week. Has anyone had it and can tell me what it’s like and what to expect? Also is it normal to feel so tired and not feel like I can go back to work yet? I know I’m still only early days so I’m sure it will improve, but I keep reading everyone else’s posts and it seems like it can take a really long time! 

• Hi CL25, sorry to hear you've been diagnosed at such a young age. I think I remember a recent post from   diagnosed if I remember right at 25, so you might be able to connect with them? There have been other young members whilst I've been on here but they probably aren't as active but do seem to check in occasionally. There is also a “diagnosed at a young age” forum on here that might be helpful.

I'm not surprised you're feeling so tired, you're quite early post op still. Yes it can take some people a while to get the Levothyroxine right. It's taken mine 10 months just to get into normal range and I still feel tired but I'm 57! Don't forget there might also be many people who feel okay after their thyroidectomy and their levels come good so they don't feel the need to post. You've had a real shock to the system and our bodies take time to adjust. We all react in different ways too, so just listen to your body and allow yourself time to heal, not just from the direct physical side of the op but mentally too, it can be exhausting in itself.

I'm sorry I can't help with the RAI as I have a different variant, Medullary, which doesn't respond to RAI. But I'm sure someone will be along soon who has experience of this for you.

Stay in touch with how you're getting on.

• I’m really sorry to hear your diagnosis and it must be very daunting at such a young age. I’m 39 and was diagnosed last year. 
    Yes it’s definitely really normal for you to feel tired. Everyone is different of course but for me I was so much more exhausted than I anticipated and it took me a long time to get back to work. I’m still not back to my full work load but I do also have 2 young children so I’m definitely still busy! Hopefully in time your body will adjust well and I know lots of people go on to live full, energised lives. I think the shock of it all takes its toll too.

I had my RAI in January. I did have some stomach issues but the doctor said I may just have caught a nasty bug in the hospital. And apart from that it was fine…I felt lucky not to have to go through a more gruelling type of treatment. It is a full on week of hospital appointments and then can be lonely afterwards whilst you stay away from others, but physically I think the majority of people don’t have many major side effects. 

Wishing you all the best in your recovery and ongoing treatment x

• Thank you! Nice to hear from you! Will let you know as hopefully finding out Thursday if I have to have RAI. 

• Thank you, it’s nice to hear I’m not alone and that everyone feels tired too! I’m always getting a lot of sweating and stuff especially when I wake up in the morning! Is that something anyone’s had too?