Life and pregnancy after thyroidectomy and RAI

• 2 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hello everyone. Recently, after hemithyroidectomy I was diagnosed with encapsulated angiovasive follicular carcinoma. On 16 April I'm scheduled for thyroidectomy. I'm so scared, as I read experiences of others that they have gained a lot of weight, constant tiredness, falling hair etc...Additionally, I am almost 36 and dreaming to have a child, but very worried how I will be able to get pregnant when adjustment of the hormones will take time. Anyone can relate and share experience?

• Hi Denitsa, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I can certainly reassure you that there are alot of people on here who's hormone levels have settled quickly after their ops and they feel okay quite soon after. I had a total thyroidectomy so my experience will be different but I can say that I've had no weight gain, although I have to be proactive with that with my diet and exercise as I'm 57 and would've been prone to a little middle age spread anyway! And my hair isn't falling out. I do have the tiredness but my levels are just starting to come up into normal range, so that should hopefully decrease. I can't help with the pregnancy of course but I'm sure someone will pop on who's got more experience there. Perhaps you could try asking your CNS, they might be able to help or they will ask your consultant for you.

Try to take one step at a time, trust in your medical team  and it will hopefully be slightly less overwhelming. Easy to say I know. I wish you all the best and I hope the op goes well. Let us know how you're getting on. X

• Thank you for your kindness. I pray everyday that everything with the surgery and the cancer will finished well. However, I just cannot stop being afraid of all risks and the life without thyroid. I feel my life is stolen...

Wish you all the best! Heartpulse