New, confused and looking for experiences of hemi thyroidectomy

• 7 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi

Im a 37 year old female. I have a high stress job and a 5 year old. I am also autistic. 

I met a nurse today who advised it is OK to join even though I'm in a diagnostic process and do not have cancer. I feel wierd posting, so sorry if not ok. 

I had a difficult appointment today. 

In November 2022 I fell downstairs and broke ribs  had a head injury etc. I was told a thyroid nodule had been seen at least 1cm that needed follow up. 

I had an ultrasound which was "highly suspicious" and I was told I needed an FNA. 

1 year and 4 months and 5 FNA biopsies later (3 with lab guidance). 4 biopsies were inconclusive and 1 they only got a very small sample which was a thy3. They wanted to repeat this biopsy as the sample was not great due to the difficulty accessing the nodule and how calcified it is. Even the sample I have was on the border of inconclusive I'm told. It has grown in a way "not clinically significant" but enough to "be concerned". I was told thyroid cancer does not grow fast and is usually treatable and most people have it years and don't know. No evidence of anything in lymph nodes which are all good signs. Thyroid function is fine which apparently increases risk.

I met my consultant today who said I have been discussed at a meeting and they reccomed a diagnostic hemi thyroidectomy. I can try a biopsy again if I prefer but it's not reccomeded as I have been through 5 with no results and they no longer feel watch and wait is sensible. 

I was offered a hemi when I got my thy3 results but I'm frightened so chose non surgical option. 

I have agreed and been told I'm high on urgent list but his cancer list is1-3 months diagnostic highly urgent is 3-6. It may be short notice as I'm on a cancellation list. 

I feel exhausted by this process already and a year in this cycle of test, wait for results and then still no idea has been rubbish. My employer put me on a stage 1 for absence due to the amount of time off but are generally supportive. 

I am worried a surgical absence will tip this into stage 2 and this prevents promotion. 

I want to know what to expect from the surgery. The nurse who looked after me after my appointment said this would bea safe support even though it still might not be cancer. Sorry if not ok. If anyone had a diagnostic Hemi thyroidectomy please share as im pretty scared. How long to recover? How long for results? When could i go back to work? What should I know? How do I explain in a non scary way to a 5 year old.? Is it very painful?

Thanks for reading. 

• Hello there and welcome to the forum, you are absolutely in the right place. I'm sure there are some members going through the same thing or very similar to you right now as well as others like myself who are further along in the treatment process.

My own experience was a little different to yours as my first inkling that there could be a problem with my thyroid (other than having been borderline hypothyroid for years) was in September 2022 when I noticed a fairly large lump on the right side of my neck. It grew quickly and I had issues getting medical staff to take it seriously. I had one biopsy done in February last year and that came back as inconclusive. I had a hemi thyroidectomy at the end of March  in order to get a diagnosis, so I was in a similar position to the one you're in now.

The operation  was pretty straightforward really, some discomfort  afterwards but that disappeared quickly.  It was fine to eat snd drink straight away, soft foods only for a couole of days but after that back to normal. My wound healed well and they're generally quite small  incisions and easy to care for. Most people stay on hospital for one night after the operation and go home the next morning.

It took nearly 7 weeks to get the diagnosis of Hurthle Cell Carcinoma (a rare type of Follicular Thyroid Cancer.)  I'm not sure if this is a fairly normal wait time or if I was unlucky in having to wait so long. I phoned the surgeon's secretary and the dedicated cancer nurse I'd been assigned regularly to make sure that they'd remember me and contact me as soon as the results arrived! I did everything I could to distract myself while waiting, but of course it  can be a challenge. The recovery is generally pretty quick for most people from the hemi. It was complicated for me as I have other illnesses,  but even so  I was pleasantly surprised at how soon I felt better.

My child is much older than yours so  I don't have experience of explaining all this to a toddler but if I did  I think I'd just boil it down to the essentials with lots of reassurance that you'll be home very soon. I'd promise to come home with a treat for the child too so they'd associate the experience with something positive for them. With my child that was a takeaway a few days after I came home!  Macmillan publish a booklet about explaining cancer to children so that might help you with it all. 

I hope it all goes well for you, it's totally normal to feel apprehensive about this process and all the uncertainty. 

Good luck.

• Thank you for your kind and informative response. 

I feel more reassured about the operation. 

I am hoping I never have to explain cancer to her. I remain hopeful for a benign result as that seems statistically more likely. 

I'm sorry to hear of your path and diagnosis. 

I felt reasonably reassured by their lack of urgency but now just want to move on from the cycle. Over a year of maybe cancer is enough.

• Feeling very frustrated. I had my preoperative assessment yesterday and I was found to have high blood pressure. They are now reconsidering the surgery. I just want this process to end after a year and 5months. I have never had high blood pressure before. 

Just came to vent as I don't know enough medically to know what my options will be if they refuse. 

• Sorry to hear this. I had a full thyroidectemy last week and have had a very positive experience with surgery and recovery so far. I hope they are able to go ahead with your surgery & rest assured if they do recovery can be positive! 

• Hi, I also found out I had high blood pressure while preparing for a diagnostic hemi thyroidectomy but I was advised to see my gp and started taking medication immediately. My first surgery date was cancelled but it went ahead a few weeks later.
    my consultant was quite brutal and said the thyroid problems aren’t as important as dealing with the high blood pressure.

My blood pressure is now under control, i no longer get bad headaches and migraines which had ruled my life for years and I feel less anxious in general. 

I hope your blood pressure is managed so you can progress with the thyroid treatment.

I have now had the remainder of my thyroid removed and have found thr recovery pretty quick. I came out of hospital the same day as I felt well and my calcium blood results were ok. I haven’t needed anything more than a few paracetamol and last time, was back at work after 3 weeks.

good luck 

• Thank you for replying. 

That is really interesting. I have been plagued by migraines in the last 3 months. I wasn't told to see GP just monitor and bring in on surgery day. I was given a home monitor. 

I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for your time.

• Really appreciate your time. Very reassuring.