Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer

• 93 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi anyone got any experience of this? Recently (Last week) advised I have this and there is basically nothing to be done. Seems to be very little info and certainly nothing positive.

any help or pointers most welcome indeed!

• You will be up and down every hour if like us. The waiting for info is the worse as there isn’t much at all.

im taking today as a good day just going to buy a mouse trap fro for the greenhouse a job I’ve wanted to do for weeks!

• Thats exactly how we feel right now but also thinking about all the things we want to do to make memories but it's so hard the kids are struggling too Broken heart

I hope you catch some mice in your trap.its the little things sometimes hey  

• I'm so sorry, Dave. Did you have symptoms? Has it spread?

• Hi Sarah - had a small ish nodule on my thyroid which appeared from knowhere. Within 10 days trebled in size. 
    my voice was a mix of cranky and squeaky which I thought was a gay fever symptom but alas not the tumour was pressing on a vocal cord.

other than that I felt and looked perfectly well even now 10 weeks later people can’t believe what I am saying (although today maybe a different story one chemo and three radio sessions in and I am bit ropey to say the least! But we crack on it’s the only way to be keep focussed on the good hours for now x

• Update - Dave 1, Mouse 0!

• Wow. It's just so shocking to be told you're on a time limit so to speak when you don't feel that bad at all. As my mom used to say when she was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer "I don't have an expiration date stamped on the bottom of my foot!" which pretty much means no one can tell you when you're going to die. Still, are you very anxious? I'm very anxious- I have a "very concerning' mass in my thyroid pushing on my esophagus and I'm having surgery Oct 17. They will diagnosis it once it's out and I'm so scared of what they're going to tell me. Mine hasn't changed much in 6 months though so that's a bit of good news. 

• That’s good

i would think if no change. Different types of thyroid and throat cancer give much different outcomes. I was considered for surgery but in the end it was not viable as Anaplastic is too rapid growth to get on top of with surgery so the best would have been a slowdown. Hopefully my treatment now can get me a year or so bug who really knows even that is not  enough but better than the initial 8-10 week prognosis!

• Well I'll be thinking of you and I hope your treatment works to slow it down. No one knows when their time is up- I could get shot and killed today and my thyroid would be of no concern, lol. All any of us have is the present moment! 

• A little update. Today (following a PET scan last week) it’s been confirmed I also have a rare sinus cavity malignant cancer. Without biopsy they cannot pinpoint the exact type but don’t want to halt treatment to find out. 
    so changing the radiotherapy to add in another field, and an extra week of chemo and radiotherapy. It’s going to be even tougher but have no choice.

still today had a nice touch from the radiography team they took some photos of me on the treatment bed fastened down in the mask! One to keep the kids away at Halloween!

• Omg how scary for you at least you getting treatment I hope this works for you honestly, and that would be a scary picture lol.

So we went to the royal marsden today and the lady we met was very lovely, the are going to start radiotherapy on Wednesday which may shrink it, with the hope to get a bit more time but the prognosiBroken heartis not good she it's months and be lucky to see 6months, I'm so scared and angry and emotional she said make as many memories as we can! But out heads are all over the place this became very real toBroken hearty, I can't imagine life without him he is my rock Broken heart