Radio iodine

• 7 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi, New to forum. Had thyroidectomy start of June. Appointment to discuss my rai treatment.. Need some clarification to dispell some theories hearing from others about the treatment.( They havent had it). 

In hospital I know that I will be isolated a few days. Can I use my mobile phone and laptop, or will it be fried by my radioactivity, or will I have to put them away for eons as if they were found in Chernobil?

Thanks in advance , any news helpful

• Hi. 

It all depends which hospital you have treatment. For example mine was in Royal Liverpool and I could take whatever I wanted with me and everything was returned without any restrictions on use. But other hospitals might ask you to out everything in pastic bags before treatment and use it like that only or will not let you take some things back. So I would advice to contact the hospital where you will have treatment. I also didn't have to follow loilw iodine diet but as far as I know it's only Liverpool hospital that allows that. Take care. 

• Thanks, will be the Beatson in Glasgow.

• Hi Ricciv 

I had RAI in the Beatson in Glasgow on May this year. Superb team. I had 2 Thyrogen injections 2 days before going into hospital. I went in on Wednesday morning and was out on the Friday lunchtime. Was told to take in only what was needed. Old clothes that you could leave. Wasn’t aloud to take anything back out except for my glasses and mobile. I pad wasn’t aloud. I basically left anything I used in the hospital when I came out. Did low iodine diet for one week prior to going in. All went very smoothly and drank lots of water and showered when I was in. If you read and watch tv then it’s actually a good chill out time. You should get all the necessary info before you go in. Good luck xx

• Thanks, shame about ipad, could have caught up with some box sets, cant enjoy on phone. More concerned about going home and what rules there are for the wife etc.. Thanks again

• And how long should I plan to be off work? Thanks again

• Hi again. It all depends on what dose you will have and how quickly your body will get rid of it . I've had 3.7 which is medium dose. I needed to stay away from my husband and 11 years old for a week. I stayed in my bedroom for a week. As to time off work it was 4 weeks for me as I am working in pharmacy and my levels of radiation wouldn't be safe around open medication (for example in MDS trays). Normally it would be max 2 weeks off if I would be in different kind of job. They will tell you all about your restrictions in hospital. Mine is just an example and there will be loads of people with different ones.

• Thank you for your info it helps. I am due for treatment in 2 weeks 

what was the isolation room like? 
    i am going into Southend hospital and hopefully will on be for 3 nights 

just worried about feeling locked in when in hospital