Papillary Thyroid Cancer

Hi there, I am new to this forum and will just tell you a little about my journey so far.

I have had thyroid issues ever since having my daughter 17 years ago. I had a lymph node removed in 2007 which came back as benign and diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis. My thyroid levels have always been normal so not been medicated but had nodules and flare ups of thyroiditis over the years with and referrals to ENT, ultrasounds etc.

Fast forward to June 2021, I started to get really bad symptoms of something stuck in my throat and feeling tired, my sleep was terrible. Due to covid I filled out an e-consultation online and my GP arranged for blood tests. Bloods came back showing elevated blood calcium and PTH levels. 

GP then referred me to ENT and I had a number of ultrasounds with FNA, amongst other investigations.  

I was then diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism with an adenoma on one parathyroid gland and 2 nodules on right side of thyroid. Ultrasounds were U3/4. Indeterminate thy3a.

Fast forward to April 2022 and I had surgery to remove 1 parathyroid gland which was embedded in my thyroid so the decision was made to remove the whole right side as it contained the suspicious nodule this was sent off to be tested and came back as early stage papillary thyroid cancer.

The surgeon was pretty sure she had made the right call and that due to the very small size I should require no further treatment, but would review my case at the MDT meeting with pathology.

I am now 8 weeks post op nearly and had a telephone appointment on Thursday with the surgeon. This was brought forward a week from my original appointment. The surgeon said that my remaining thyroid is not functioning well as seen in bloods I had done but also that when my case was reviewed it is believed that the ptc is actually more aggressive than first thought and that the best option would be to get me back in to remove the rest of my thyroid and then possibly RAI.

I was not expecting this so was a little taken back. I just thought that if anything I would just require a low dose levo.

I have a face to face appointment with the surgeon next week to talk in more detail and to plan the next steps.

Just thought I would join this group to see if anybody else has had a similar experience?

Natalie

  • Hello
    Sounds like your thyroid has not been your friend for a long time.

    If the other half isn't doing its job well, then you're going to end up on thyroxine one way or another so, whilst I understand it wasn't what you expected or hoped for, it's not such a big deal to get shot of what you still have. I know nobody like having surgery, but if there's any question about what might be in there, I'm a big believer in 'Better out than in'.

    I'm sorry you find yourself facing more surgery, but I'm sure that it will be worth it to have the peace of mind of knowing you've minimised your risk by getting rid of it. 

    Many of us here went through a two-stage removal - not always under the same circumstances but with the same overall outcome.

    Best wishes

    Barbara

    “Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous