ACR TI-RAD-5 Nodule

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

I went in for a yearly physical about 3 weeks ago and my dr palpated a nodule on my thyroid (I couldn’t feel what she was feeling).  She had me go in for a ultrasound a week later.  The nodule was classified as a 5 on the TIRAD scale.  It is a 3mm nodule.  It has extra thyroidal extension, taller than wide, solid, and some other thing I cannot remember.  I went in for a needle biopsy about 4 days ago and I am still awaiting results.  The lump has grown quite a bit in the last three weeks.  I can now easily feel it and it is noticeable when looking at my neck.  I have a persistent cough, and it feels like it is pushing on my larynx. 

Of course I have read everything there is to read online about thyroid cancer and I fear the worse because of how quickly it is growing.  How long should it take for biopsy results?  Did anyone else here have a TIRAD-5 nodule?  Just looking for a little support.

• Which country are you in please? I am guessing not the UK as we don't routinely use the TIRAD system here. On that basis, I think it's hard to say how long your results would take if we don't have experience of the medical system in your country.

In your shoes, I would call the doctor or surgery and ask for an estimate of when you'll get your results. 

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Barbaral thanks for the response.  I am from the US. What scape does the UK use to determine if you need a thyroid biopsy? 

• I am no expert because I never had Ultrasound as part of my investigations. 
    Others will know more than me, but I believe there is a U scale - from U1 to U5 with higher numbers being used to justify a follow up Fine Needle Aspiration.

It's most likely something similar to your TIRADS.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Same here biopsy U5 results came in about a week but needed appt with endo team first which happened in the next two weeks to discuss about the results before u can get the letter. Don't worry if you can and stay strong. I'm trying my best whilst pending op for T(total Thyroidectomy.+ lymph nodes) Good luck to you and wishing you all the best on this journey we have to take.