Neck pain

• 14 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi I’m booked for a second biopsy on Monday as the first was inconclusive. I have several nodules on my thyroid and been told I’m graded a U3. I have a burning sensation and pain in my throat but my neck is always painful (I thought it was due to a previous injury). Has anyone had experience if this? Im really stressed out as the first biopsy was February but I’m still awaiting a diagnosis. Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated 

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that your neck is always painful, it must be very unpleasant.

While I don't have any experience of this, I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. If you type 'neck pain' into the search bar at the top of the page it'll bring up any previous posts which mention this. You could then have a look through some of them and respond to any of the more recent posters if you think they can help you further.

I hope everything goes well with your biopsy tomorrow and you soon get your results back.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi. I can't really be much help other than to say I'm in the same position as you. I had my first fna in October which came back inconclusive. Had a repeat in February but still awaiting the results. I also have pain in my neck and a feeling of pressure. I also feel like I'm suffocating if I lie on my back. I hope you are ok and your second fna bring you more clarity x

• Hi Janet I’m so sorry you’re having this experience. It’s so stressful waiting for results. Hope you get your results soon x

• Thank you so much. I’ll search just now x

• Thyroid cancer doesn't 'normally' hurt in the way that you describe.
    I would suggest to talk to your GP about other potential causes. 

For example, for many years, I suffered with horrible sore throats due to a condition known as Chronic Post Nasal Drip - a side effect of allergic rhinitis and sinusitis. There's a logical reason for that to cause the throat pain that you describe. Thyroid cancer shouldn't do the same.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Thanks Barbara. I’m definitely a bit worried and stressed until I get the biopsy tomorrow and results next week. It’s good to know this isn’t related. Thanks 

• I can't say for sure that it's not related. I can just say it may well be a totally different thing,
    Also, once they stick a needle in your thyroid - sorry to say - that's going to hurt and may well be bruised for a while after.

Best wishes

Barbara

• I’m hoping that I get a result one way or the other but my fear is that it comes back inconclusive again 

• Unfortunately, I have to be honest with you that there's quite a high chance that it will come back inconclusive again.  The problem is that the second most common form of TC just can't be diagnosed with FNA - the lump needs to be taken out, sliced and diced on a microscope slide and then examined to be sure.
    It's one of the great unfairnesses of TC that all too often, we need to take decisions without having the full picture. 

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get a result this time.  

Best wishes

Barbara

• Thanks so much Barbara.