Voice loss

• 8 replies
  • 31 subscribers

On the 2nd of Feb I was told I had a papillary carcinoma and needed a total thyroidectomy and lateral neck dissection. It's been very shocking. Not only the diagnosis but also the lack of any form of support or information given by the hospital. I'm a singer in a quartet and I'm terrified of losing my voice and not ever being able to sing again.

Are there any other singers out there or anyone with experience in this area?

• I'm not a singer. I couldn't hold a note if it had the Queen's head on it. BUT I know somebody who is and who had thyroid cancer about 17 years ago and was very worried about damaging her voice.

Another member here, no longer active, just getting on with her life, is a professional and runs several choirs.

Like many talents, singing takes a bash and your voice will be weak for a few months. But unless something got damaged in the process of removing your thyroid and lymph nodes, there's a good prognosis for getting back to 'normal'.

I remember going to Midnight Mass at Salisbury Cathedral two weeks after my completion thyroidectomy. I had a range of about 4 notes and had to mime most of the carols. But to put it into context, my husband has a range of about 3 notes, and that's without any surgery.

It will take time.

You might want to ask for a referral to a speech therapist if you're worried and perhaps they can help you with some exercises.

Hospitals - even without Covid - tend to be a bit rubbish with information and support. if you are lucky, they remember to tell you to take your tablets 30-60 minutes before food or hot drinks, but even that seems a stretch for some. You'll need to chase your surgeon or their secretary for specific information or hunt around the information on the main Mac site.

Good luck - sorry I can't help with personal experience, but I am confident you'll find things improve.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Thank you so much Barbara.  Yes the hospital has been crap..All the man said when I expressed concern was "Yes, that would be life changing'. No more no less.  I really appreciate your reassurances. 

• Fellow singer & musician here! Just wondering how you are getting on now? I have PTC with my TT and neck dissection surgery in one week. I'm very scared about the effect on my vocals and when I can return to my work/passion/positive mental health part of my life....I mostly sing soprano (currently comfortable range is E3-D6, but can stretch another 4 semitones either way on a good day) I also sing in bands as well as my a capella group, so I'm used to projecting a lot, even with amplification. I was told by a surgeon that it may take 6-12 months for a full singing voice recovery. How have you found your journey back to a healthy voice?

• Hi Mimi79!  I wish you well with your surgery and although I am not a singer, I follow on Twitter and Instagram a fellow thyroid cancer survivor who is also an opera singer. Inspirational! Thought it would be a good link for you? 

• I discovered that Rod Stewart also had vocal cord problems following Thyroid Cancer and his voice is still good, so there is hope for anyone who does have problems @Mimi79 @Dexx 

• Hello, I was fortunate not to have any nerve damage during surgery. This being said my voice was very quiet for quite some time and I/it was exhausting at times to use it for long. Unfortunately I caught an infection and had a lot more rummaging about in my wound that might have otherwise been. It took 6 weeks for the wound to close.

For quite a long time I felt slightly strangled but was assured that it was the scar tissue rather than anything else. Keeping very very well hydrated has made a lot of difference. I had some sessions with a speech therapist to help with stability and vocal mobility which were very helpful. 

My voice sounds more or less the same. A little lower and a little less agile at the top (I sing tenor through to soprano). It feels different to use.  I'm working on making the best of what I have and trying to see it as an adventure rather than a trial. I'm feeling my way with it and relearning my own mechanics. Dealing with tightness caused by the stress and trauma is my main issue. 

I was told that if I wasn't a singer I wouldn't have noticed the changes. My vocal coach says I just sound a bit 'meaner' - haha. 

The very best of all good wishes for your surgery. Drink plenty of water, honey and lemon or calendula tea.

Great big hugs. May you be filled with courage and resilience and met with kindness wherever you go. Xx

• Like I said.... Meaner' haha. 

• Have just been directed to you having lost my voice hopefully temporarily due to medication. I do hope that you are doing better now? Not being able to sing or speak much is a huge loss for me at the moment. Best wishes x