Papillary (Follicular variant Thyroid cancer)

• 1 reply
  • 25 subscribers

Hello.

I discovered a lump on the right side of my throat in November 2020. Went to GP and was referred very quickly to ENT doctors which suspected a possible cyst. I had a FNA (fine needle aspiration) a week later. I was told that I had a very large mass on my right Thyroid lobe and another developing on the left side. After drawing off cells I had about a weeks wait and they came back indeterminate. So there was a 50 50 chance either way of the mass being cancerous. I saw the surgeon and was told regardless that I needed a right hemithyroidectomy as the mass was large and was starting to slightly compress my windpipe plus I did have issues swallowing. Had the surgery and after coming back was indeed cancer so had rest of it out (completion thyroidectomy) in March. The rest they took out was cancerous as well. This is not uncommon. Anyhow now waiting for radioactive iodine treatment.

If you have any questions then please feel free to ask. 

Bob

• Hi  Can I offer you a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community. I’m sorry to read about your diagnosis but I’m glad you’ve found us.

My cancer is different, but a cancer diagnosis of any kind makes us ask lots of questions, causes confusion, stress and probably emotions we’ve never experienced before. To be able to talk to other people who are in the same situation will help you get through this.

The Macmillan Community is organised into dedicated support hubs. You’ve joined our Thyroid cancer group, this will be a good place to meet up with others making the same type of cancer journey.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It can assist other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. 

The Macmillan Support Services also provide lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett