Hi there - Reoccurring thyroid cancer

• 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

Hi there

I had a hemi thyroidectomy in January 2018 for a papillary cancer.

Last year a new tumour was found in my remaining half.

I had my completion surgery at the end of March.  My consultant called yesterday to give me my results and apparently I had 5 cancerous tumours in my remaining half, he also removed a parathyroid gland.  I was quite surprised to hear these results as my consultant had been confident that it would not be cancer again.  I am now waiting for the results of the MDT and have been told to expect an appointment soon.  I have also been told to take my husband in with me for my appointment which in the current climate has made me more concerned, but i am grateful that they will let him join me.

Does anyone have any idea what other bad news might be in store?  Am I likely to need more surgery or just RAI?

If anyone has been in a similar situation Id been keen to hear their experiences.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi . I'd like to offer you a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community. I’m sorry to read about your diagnosis but I’m glad you’ve found us.

My cancer is different, but a cancer diagnosis of any kind makes us ask lots of questions, causes confusion, stress and probably emotions we’ve never experienced before. To be able to talk to other people who are in the same situation will help you get through this.

The Macmillan Community is organised into dedicated support hubs. You’ve joined our Thyroid cancer group, this will be a good place to meet up with others making the same type of cancer journey.

It's good your husband can accompany you for your appointment. Having a hand to hold at the time makes such a difference. Last year I made every scan, test and consultation alone - it was very hard.

The Macmillan Support Services also provide lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett