New here had hemi thyroidectomy

• 3 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi I had a hemi thyroidectomy last week, my surgeon said my immune system has been attacking my thyroid. He said he had removed a large tumour from the centre and removed the left side as that looked unhealthy he removed a nodule from the right side but left most of that side alone as it was healthy tissue. I’m waiting results of histology and I’m scared. He said it was difficult to remove as lots of scar tissue and it was deep down took 6 hours of surgery. 
my FNA was follicular. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community but sorry that you needed to find us and I am especially sorry to hear about your worries waiting for histology results. All of us here agree the worse time is the waiting for histology results. Whatever you do, best not consult Dr. Google!

Although I had a different type of cancer, any cancer diagnosis brings many questions, lots of confusion and stress but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster ride. The Community is organised into dedicated support groups so can I see you have joined our supportive  Thyroid cancer group, this will be a good place to connect with others navigating the same type of cancer journey.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi there.

I too on my initial surgery had a large nodule/tumour removed from right side. My initial neck biopsy was indeterminate so I had to have the surgery anyway as the lump was so big it was poking through my neck, starting to wrap around collar bone and really affecting my swallowing. After op I waited for 2 weeks and histology confirmed follicular thyroid cancer. I then had follow up surgery for rest of thyroid. Just a point to note that this type of cancer does have a really good recovery rate, although you will probably need follow up radioactive iodine treatment which is what I am waiting for now. Just one question.... you mention your fna was follicular so my understanding is that they usually take out whole thyroid if you get a positive fna.  Assuming though that your case went in front of a thyroid multi discipline team??

• Hi Puddiecat,

The waiting on results is really difficult but try and focus on the positives. Although the surgery was difficult for the surgeon,  he left most of the right side, which he felt was healthy tissue. That's good. Hopefully you'll get results soon x