Cancer 2nd time around

• 8 replies
  • 27 subscribers

just over 4 years ago I had Thyroid cancer, had 3 operations and two lots of radioactive iodine .  All went well until two years ago when I had a malignant melanoma in my left eye.

This led to the removal of my left eye and 20 days of radio therapy .     How ever I have not been given the all clear from either of the oncologists I am under.

I now feel that I have a sword hanging over my head on a very thin piece of string.  It is bad, I am not sleeping well so I am tired all the time. I know that both types of cancer can come back but knowing does not help.

To top it all I have COPD and type 2 diabetes. I am 73 and wish I could go to sleep and not wake up.  

• Hello Photog

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here, I am sorry that you are feeling this way, and even more saddened to read that you wish you could sleep and not wake up.  I hope that in the few days since you wrote this post that those feelings have eased a little, we are all certainly going through really tough times at present and day to day living can be quite stressful.

You have experienced a great deal over the past few years, it is no wonder that there are times when you feel quite low, we have a lovely emotional support forum where you will find others who are reaching out and may be able to offer you further support too.

I have not undergone any of the treatments that you have mentioned, but we had noticed your post had gone unanswered, I hope others on this forum will soon be along to offer some of their own thoughts, I do hope that you can contact your oncology, diabetic or respiratory team for additional medical support if you need. 

Take care of you

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thank you for your letter,  Both my Oncologists now do phone call consultations after blood tests and scans. The same goes for the COPD and diabetes, have not seen any one in the past 18 months.

I am just so feed up with it all.    Evan when I had my eye removed I only had a lady talk to me on the phone from Liverpool, I live in Worcestershire.

We used to have a thyroid cancer group with two MacMillan nurses but this was stopped for some reason, although I have learnt that the two nurses have moved to different departments..

Not a lot of help when there is no one to talk to.

So that is it, cant go out due to shielding except to have injections in my eye, .

• I  understand that frustration, although I am not restricted by shielding, I do have to watch out for my husband who is extremely vulnerable. My brother in law had eye cancer a few years back and had radiotherapy, he chose to keep his eye, we are yet to learn whether that was a good move or not, but certainly everyone reacts differently.

With all local clubs shut due to lockdown, and limited interaction for many people at this time, we are finding here on this site that there is a great deal more interaction and I hope that you can be a part of that.

IF things go according to plan, there will be a slow opening up of the country over the coming months, I am looking forward to that, hopefully this also will make things easier for you and will enable some interactions other than your eye injections.

Please feel fee to take a look around the other areas of the site, there is a big community here, which you may like to become a part of, not the same as the outside world I know, but hopefully it will bring some smiles into your home.

There is always support from the Macmillan nurses here too, their number, if you would like to call them is located in my signature.

Stay strong, we don't have far to go now, and we will hopefully feel the sunshine on our faces soon enough

(((Hugs)))

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Thank you for your letter. Sorry to hear about your relatives. I had no option the eye had to go. The melanoma was to big and in the wrong place to be treated.  I was offered proton beam treatment in Liverpool but Prof Heiman said treatment would last for up to 2 years and the chances are it would not get rid of the cancer, he said that the removal of the eye was the best treatment, As it was by the time I had the operation a spur of cancer had come through the eye.

But then that is the story of my life. If I did not have bad luck I would not have any.   

• Hello... 

I just read your message I also am struggling in isolation on my own waiting for radio iodine.. but nothing like your going through... All I can say is that I'm here to chat to if you feel you need someone.. You are not alone.. Its so harsh sometimes when you just feel that down.. I do know the feeling and I also in the past Yr have felt to go to sleep and not wake up but somehow something seems to happen and I realise that I'm a fighter so I'll keep fighting

just know that your not alone 

Be safe and I really hope you will have good news from your Dr's very soon

Regards suzza 

• Sorry to hear your still struggling and I understand. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and had total thyroidectomy and Rai. All was good till Dec but now my thyroglobulin levels have started to go up and another small lump showing on scan near the original tumour so waiting to see what they are going to do. Thought the cancer was gone but it seems to be hanging around so feeling pretty scared again now. 

• Yes I had all my thyroids out but so far blood tests have been ok. But I find there is no local support for either the thyroid cancer or the melanoma cancer. Had a ultrasound scan yesterday to make sure there is no spreading. Sorry to hear you have another lump hope they clear it soon.

One of the women at the thyroid cancer group (not running any more) said she had lumps coming up, that was in 2019 when I saw her at a car show in Gloucester so do not know how she is getting on.  Phone consultation with one of my oncologists on the 19th (melanoma) and the other in May (Thyroid). Blood tests for thyroglobulin next month. What is worrying is that both thyroid and melanoma cancers are known to reappear it is like a sword hanging over you on a very thing piece of string.

To top it all I am on insulin for diabetes and I have COPD.

I hope they sort you out soon and not leave it to long,  Stay safe and I know how you feel. 

• Sorry

Have just seen your message, Hope the isolation went ok. Had a ultrasound scan yesterday will have a phone call from oncologist on the 19th. for the results of that and the blood test I had a couple of weeks ago.

More blood tests next month for the Thyroid cancer, yesterday was for the melanoma cancer.

Thank you for your message

take care perhaps we can talk again soon.