Advice please over familiar symptoms coming back

• 7 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi all, hope your all okay?
Need some advice, I had a TT march 2023, and over the last couple of months and now more the last couple of weeks, I’ve noticed I am back to clearing my throat a lot, coughing, sore throat, and the heavy/full sensation in my throat seems to be back. I also can’t lean forward without it feeling strange in again my neck ( reminds me a lot of the feelings I had pre TT)
I have also more recently noticed that when working out doing certain exercises I feel like I’m breathing through a straw again.
I know I should of gone to the docs before now, but to be honest I’m scared to, I’m terrified that the cancer is back and I think I’m just burying myself in the sand with it hoping it will go away.
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar- good or bad stories I like to try and be real about things (usually Joy)

Thank you for reading and enjoy your Sundays Kissing heart

• Hello

i I had my completion surgery in August 2020 and RAI in October 2020. Thankfully I have had 3 annual assessments which have gone well but on a regular basis still have a cough and a feeling of tightness in my throat. I put this down to internal scarring from my surgeries but really there is no alternative but to share your feelings with your doctor. Hopefully by doing so you will get the reassurance you need

• Thank you for taking the time to reply. That’s really positive to hear and I’m hoping will be the same for me. Yes I will speak with the docs next week I think, I’ve sat on it for to long now. 

• Hello

your anxiety is perfectly normal but I hope you find speaking to the doctor a big help. You will most likely be reassured but if you have some choices to make then making them sooner rather than later is probably best. After a thyroidectomy nurses don’t always provide guidance on stretching exercises and depending on the surgery your body can feel a bit tight. I hope that very soon you will be feeling much better. 

• Thank you so much. I will update the comments when I have some answers. X

• Got a slight update, saw my gp, am being referred back to ENT (urgent he said) but he doesn’t need to do it under the 2ww as he said I’m already known to them, I have now had another message from the doctor asking me to book an x ray for my chest to support the ENT referral, can anyone shed any light on this, such as reasons etc, feeling very anxious about this. 

• Hi Dots2023, I'm not surprised you're feeling anxious over this and I'm sure I'd be the same but I think just try to keep in mind that as Langdaleman has said there could be other non sinister reasons for the symptoms too. I had my TT in June2023 and my throat was horribly tight from the start. Really noticeable when I'm stressed or upset, tired or unwell. It's good that you've got a quick ENT referral and they're being thorough by asking for the Xray aswell. Could you ask your CNS for more details? X

• Thank you for your reply, yes anxiety levels are pretty high right now. He did say it was to give ENT a recent chest X-ray as I am complaining of respiratory issues. I’m hoping to get some appointments come through soon. X