Life with Thyroid Cancer

• 4 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi all! I hope most importantly you’re doing okay too. 

I just thought I’d brave a post on here in the hope it lets me let off some built up upset and disappointment.

I was a 20 year old guy, in my final year of honours degree at university when I discovered a lump on my neck. 3 weeks after my 21st Birthday I underwent a hemithyroidectomy.

I was the diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I at the time, felt it was best to keep this information private and only told immediate family and a few close friends. I completed my degree and achieved the highest classification which made me immensely proud of getting by. I’m now on 150mg of Levothyroxine. I went from none, to 25, 50, 100, 125, 100 and now 150. It’s been a process and I feel I’ve had a lot of changes to my life. 

I always had low self esteem, but I feel with some weight gain and physical changes, I’ve become worse. It’s had a knock on my ability confidence which I always held highly and have now found myself as quite an anxious person and it upsets me so deeply. I find myself in periods of being quite depressed, isolated and lonely. I’ve been quite symptomatic in recent time and just feel limited to no progress.

The close friends I did confide in, didn’t know what to say or how to cope… I understand it’s a difficult subject… so instead I pulled back and as time has progressed I’ve lost these friendships. There are a few who I know are there for me if I was to approach them, but I worry by doing so it takes away from the happy times and enjoyment… or worse that it leads them to walk away too. I feel it’s made me quite a cynical person and lost my love of life.

In recent months, I’ve been checked and been tested for leukaemia and types of Lymphoma, thankfully after a lot of testing and checks I’ve now got the all clear, but with regular monitoring.

I unfortunately feel conflicted in who to trust in, speak with, or how to get back to my old self or even an adapted version of my new self.

I am scared my cancer will return. I’m scared I’ll lose friendships, or even myself along the way. I feel at such a loose end as if I’m going through the motions.

I feel those closest to me have a lot of personal issues and concerns right now and me discussing this will only add to these worries for them. I processed this journey, predominately alone, and feel this is my first time at really reaching out. It’s been a couple of years but it just feels like a dark cloud following my every move, 

thank you for any advice, for listening, and for your support at a tough time in your life too. I hope if anyone feels this way too, they know they’re not alone, and can find some peace and comfort too. 

lots of love,

• Glad you have plucked up the courage to post on the site. I was sorry to hear you were diagnosed at such a young age but credit to you for powering through and finishing your degree in some style.It really says a lot about your character that you have been able to achieve so much whilst dealing with your treatment.

Thyroid cancer is nothing to do with your lifestyle and I was happy to share my diagnosis from day 1 with family and friends. I pointed out to friends that they did not need to make any special adjustments and that I expected to around for many years thus dealing with the questions around life expectancy that often accompany a cancer diagnosis. Some friends feel better about being trusted with this information.

Whilst some consider thyroid cancer a good cancer to get the reality is that it is never good to get cancer and your anxiety around recurrence is shared by most people who have received a cancer diagnosis. You may find that the Macmillan helplines and your local Maggies centre to be a good source of support in this regard but the passage of time since your diagnosis also helps.

Some people are lucky enough to find the correct Levothyroxine dose quite quickly but others need to go through a number of adjustments. I was advised that once the correct level is reached it should have no impact on weight but it is important to support your body as much as you can by giving it the right 'fuel'. 

You have already achieved so much in your studies and I hope you can soon start feeling good about what you have done and the impact you will have on this world.

I wish you the best of health and continued success in the future.. 

• I've recently had a thyroidectomy and cancer diagnosis.  I was already on levothyroxine for an underactive thyroid and have now (post operation) had my daily dose doubled from 100 to 200mg.  The consultant said they usually work on 2mg/KG of bodyweight for someone with no thyroid. Guess I was somewhat undermedicated.  Now starting to feel less tired but may need that dosage adjusted.

I'm also somewhat of a loner and keep myself to myself.  Pandemic enforced home working also means that I have lost the usual face to face contact that came from being around people in the office everyday.  I took the step of visiting the local Maggies  Centre (Falkirk). Very welcoming and informative, and can offer support. I've attended their Men's Group and found it useful to listen and share thoughts around coping and feelings with others (albeit others with different types of cancer). 

2023 and the effects of the thyroid cancer did hit me hard and exacerbated existing depression / low esteem issues. I've largely cut alcohol out of my life, trying to eat better and exercise. Latter is proving challenging given my current low energy levels and crappy winter weather but I'm getting out for a walk or cycle most days. 

• Hi fal2162,

I'm a young person with thyroid cancer too, 23 at diagnosis and 24 now waiting for RAI (on monday!). First off, congratulations on your degree and your amazing grade! The mental battle of getting a cancer diagnosis and studying at the same time is no joke! I got diagnosed while I was writing my dissertation for my MSc, and I've ended up getting a 6 month extension to finish it while going through treatment (still writing it... snore). I've also had a rocky time with the levothyroxine, I've been over medicated rather than under, resulting in lots of anxiety/heart palpitations/brain fog etc.. The loneliness in being a young person with cancer is also really tough, as like you say, a lot of our friends don't really know how to respond to such a big thing. 

I don't really have any advice but just wanted to say that you're not alone, its tough but you're also tough. Also, I'd be happy to connect if you want to message me on here. It's a nice weird comfort talking to people in similar situations. Hope you're doing okay and getting through each day one day at a time.