Recent Diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer last Wednesday, things moved really quickly and I had a radical orchidectomy on the Thursday. Unfortunately the CT scan showed I also had on Wednesday showed some spread to my Lymph nodes. On the paperwork it says there’s something 4x4cm on one of the lymph nodes. After being in a whirlwind and everything moving so quickly I’m now at home recovering and the waiting is starting to make me feel anxious. I’m waiting for a referral to Guys to see a consultant oncologist called Sarah. Being given a name made me feel it would be quick so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and give me an idea of time frame.

Thanks 

Ben 

• Hi Ben

My treatment was really fast over the last few months, but I did miss out on a lot of face to face time with doctors.  I guess you'll experience the same. They won't start any further treatment until you are largely recovered from your operation, so I would try not to worry if you don't hear anything for another few days. 

If you really do start to feel they've deserted you contact PALS Patient Advice and Liaison Service for your hospital. If you need to do this don't frame your conversation like a complaint. Just tell them your concerns and ask them for advice on how to navigate the situation. I did this once two weeks ago having heard nothing for weeks and the hospital missing a phone consultation, but literally within an hour of talking to PALS everything got moving again.

I'm sure they'll be in touch soon.

G

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Teahupo

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I did speak with my Macmillan nurse today and they said they’ll chase up Guys but told me not to worry also. It’s just a strange feeling going from such a whirlwind where everything was so urgent and I was extremely impressed with the treatment and attention I had. Now that the pain has gone and I feel fairly normal it’s almost like an anti climax to just be sitting waiting. Also knowing it has spread but not much else I’m just eager to get on and find out more and what happens next.

Thanks

Ben