Bep

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers
Hi - a woman I know but I am having BEP chemo for a germ cell tumour on my ovary the same treatment for testicular cancer I believe. I am having 3 cycles and just finishing the second but am in hospital with high temp. Would be interested to hear anyone's experience of the treatment. I was very fit and active before this so any tips in getting healthy afterwards? Thanks emma
  • Hi EM.

I had 3 cycles of BEP ending in Feb 2012, followed by an operation to remove one testicle in March 2012. I was lucky enough to avoid infection during the chemo, hope they've got your temperature under control. I didn't find the BEP too hard, and from most people I've spoken to, its the non-BEP stuff that makes it hard - e.g. high temperature, pneumonia - for me it was chronic constipation brought on by the use of Tramadol. During BEP the two biggest tips are (1) do as you're told by the medical staff and (2) do everything you can to avoid complications, even being a recluse during the low immune period.

Like you I was very active before diagnosis - cycling to work, indoor rowing, even did the Cambridge Chariots of Fire charity race. 4 weeks later I was diagnosed with stage IIc cancer, which had spread to my lymph system.

My return to fitness was delayed, by 1~2 months by the surgery, but I built up slowly, and can now say I'm back where I was before all the shenanigans. How do I know? I'm a gadget freak and so can compare my cycles to work (I push hard) from summer 2011 to autumn 2012 - and they're indistinguishable for speed, heart-rate etc.  I was worried the Bleomycin might have affected lung function, but I can't tell any difference.

I worked back to fitness over 3~4 months, took it slow, no heroics, didn't push too hard.

Men might have one disadvantage - the testicle removal can play havoc with testosterone levels for a while, and that can cause fatigue. I had that for a bit, but now am on supplementation.

There is every reason to expect that you can be back to full fitness if that's your goal

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to gregm
    Hi Greg - thanks very much for reply. Particularly good to hear that lung capacity goes back to normal as I have read about bleomycin effects. Temp is under control now but am nearing the end so if it means being home bound until it's over then that's fine. (have a 6 and 4 year old who bring in enough germs!) only side effect is tiredness and slight ringing in ears. I am having hysterectomy afterwards so will be slow journey but going to start with plenty of walking. Thanks emma
  • Hi,

I had tinnitus too, an occasional high-pitched ringing, normally brought on by a loud noise. I play classical guitar and I was worried about it affecting my hearing (and also my touch - peripheral neuropathy). The tinnitus went away pretty soon after the last cycle, and the PN never arrived. The only lasting side effect is a new found fondness for sad country and western songs that I somehow listened to during treatment - and for that I consider myself ruined for life!

Pretty much everything other side effect went away - my hair grew back baby-soft and slightly wavy (a year on its back to being coarse), the tinnitus is gone, I did have trouble with being susceptible to nose bleeds during chemo, now fine. Taste recovered. Nausea stopped (i.e. no need to take the anti-emetics) after chemo stopped.

After my operation, I went back to work after a couple of days (walking like someone had nicked my horse), and after 2 weeks went to the gym and just exercised my upper half gently. The day after my operation I went for a short (1/3mile walk), but was cautious and kept checking the scar down the front of my jogging bottoms - guess I was lucky not to be reported :-)

I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery to full health, and that your urchins bring you gifts and not germs

Greg

• HI Emma, Just seeing how things are now further down the line?