Secon-guessing Adjuvant Chemo Decision

• 4 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi

It's now 15 days since I was given a single cylcle adjuvant treatment of Carboplatin.  I'm starting to feel a bit more human again.  I do have mild tinnitus, but it does feel the same as a previous period of tinnitus I had a few years ago, so I'm hopeful it will fade away over the next few months.

I made the decision to take the chemo based on the numbers I was quoted: 30% chance of relapse without it dropping to 3% if I took it.

I'm now finding myself seriously second-guessing my decision several times a day.  This started from day 1.  I'm struggling to deal with the fact that I will never know if any future instance of cancer will have been actually caused by this chemo, or whether this chemo will have saved me from somthing worse.

Has anyone else felt the same way after choosing to take adjuvant chemo?

Thanks  

• Hello, 

I was in your shoes for couple of hours :) I say this because in couple of hours I realised that I took the decision of choosing Carbo instead of surveillance alone was that i wanted to do everything in my power to kill off the the most chances possible of a recurrence!  

Of course there is a chance of secondary cancers caused by Carboplatin but those are not common at all so I don`t think worth the time thinking too much about this. 

I know you are fighting with yourself now so my opinion won`t help much in this help, but i tell you, you did a good choice! That 30% chance of recurrence could cause you loose more sleep, and the reduced chance of 3% could give you some ease on the long run! 

And also being through a cancer experience can put you in a different mindset where everything what seemed so sure before it doesn`t seem that sure now. This i realised the first months after being diagnosed. My mind was like a land after a hurricane but in few months I cleared it up by simply concentrating on the fact that I survived cancer! It was a roller-coaster! But in the end we are all lucky! We survived cancer!

Wishing you a lot of health! :) 

Regards,

Huni

• Thanks Huni

I do think that time will make a difference. This happening during the pandemic and lockdown has been a bit surreal and there hasn't been much to distract me.

I work with numbers in my job, and the initial decision seemed easy.  I think as this becomes a thing in my past and not my present I'll find myself just getting on with life.

Regards

G

• Hi Gents, How are things now after your BEP? I am mid cycle and have the last two day cases of Bleo to go and I am apprehensive. I am going through the phase of 'have i made the correct decision'. Do you feel any symptoms? I have had tinnitus so far and I have had eye floaters - which are unusual, maybe its been sunny and my eyes have become more sensitive! Did your symptoms pass with time?

• Hi

I had carboplatin not BEP. I got mild tinnitus which didn't really bother me. I got to a really good level of fitness about 7 months post chemo. But then I got my first Covid jab and it knocked me for six. Made my tinnitus 4 X worse and far more intrusive, and I had severe headaches for ten weeks.

I still have bad head days 6 months after the jab.

Hopefully you'll be able to make a full recovery after your chemo, even if the tinnitus ends up being permanent.

Best wishes

G