Testosterone replacement

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi all, 

My husband had his second testicle removed on Monday. That went well. He seemed to be recovering OK but today he says he's shattered, low mood and no energy. 

Does anyone know how soon the lack of testosterone would affect him? Before the op the doctor said it was very high. He rang the consultant but no response as yet. 

I just want to know if I should push starting it very soon. I'd have thought it was the op but he seems to be getting more tired and down (with no obvious reason it would get worse as he's a very balanced positive man). 

Thank you for any thoughts

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Katja.  Firstly, sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis.  You will find lots of support and help through Macmillan.  I had the same surgery as your husband (orchiectomy) in Nov 2016.  I must admit, I initially felt a bit tired after the surgery but I found going for a gentle walk and some fresh air changed my mood and energy levels in a positive way.  It’s hard to say whether your husband may need additional support regarding testosterone levels, as they can vary from person to person.  Not sure how recently he had the surgery but I would perhaps allow a little time for adjustment, then ask for a reading to be taken which will identify any help needed.  I genuinely found that my energy levels increased as time went on and I’m lucky enough to find myself with sufficient energy etc up until now.  Is he expected to have chemo or anything?  I would monitor it closely over the next 4-6 weeks and encourage him to do things he loves, in order to boost his mood.  Happy to help in any way I can do please just shout if you have any questions.  Wishing you both well. Keith

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Keith, 

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm glad things are going well for you. 

Was that your second orchiectomy? My husband had his first 13 years ago. Before this one the doctor said his testosterone levels were very high. I'm worried that they will fall quickly now he has had both testicles removed.

I gather it takes a while for really serious effects, but I wonder if mood and energy can be affected in days?

Many thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Apologies Katja, I hadn’t realised this was your husbands second orchiectomy.  This was my first one, so it would be unfair to comment on how I felt. Is there a local facility he could connect with people who can perhaps relate to his position? Just thinking of ways to help.  It’s definitely worth talking to his consultant, to establish if additional support is required?  Hopefully there are a few guys on here who may be able to relate more to your husband.  I hope he finds strength soon and starts to feel better. Keith

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Katja, you fail to mention your husbands age, and you said his levels were very high prior to the op, What were his readings?........

If you do not know, ask, or request a copy of the blood results then inform us here.

Testosterone is replenished in the body overnight giving us higher testosteront in the morning, which falls off during the day, then again replenished at night as we sleep. 

It is of no wonder your husband feels low in mood and energy, but you also need to remember that his free testosterone will also have dropped to zero, this means there is high possibility he will get osteoporosis in later years as his bones will not be getting replenished and bone density will decrease.

Low mood, lack of energy, loss of erections are tell tail signs but only the tip of the iceberg, your husband needs to be placed on TRT for life and it is very easy to get sorted out if you have an educated doctor, often this is very rare in NHS.

Free testosterone is essential for muscle recovery, bone density etc, there are a whole range of things which will be effected and your husband should consider TRT whether Gels or injections as soon as possible.

I wish you both well.