Booked to go on holiday bit I am in limbo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I had a testicle removed on 5 November 2019, it was seminoma. CT scan shows 2 enlarged lymph nodes, a 25mm aortocaval and 47mm precaval. My HCG was 1.4 before the testicle was removed and has only come down to 1.0. The clinical group decided not to start chemo treatment because the  enlarged lymph node distribution is is not typical for testicular cancer. They have asked for the blood tests to be repeated this week and next and a new CT scan 6 weeks after the original, around 3 January 2020.

I have a holiday booked to Thailand on 18 December for 3 weeks returning on 7 January, my consultant advises me not to go because

"people with cancer do not go on holiday, they wait till the treatment is finished, anything could happen and the risk of blood clots as a result of flying are increased when you have cancer"

I will have the two lots of blood tests before I go and have the CT scan when I get back, 4 or 5 days after the 6 week mark.

Do I ignore my consultant and take a risk? even though I may not be able to get travel insurance.

I know there is an increased risk of blood clots but can't seem to find out how much. It seems that 15% (there are other figures out there) of people with cancer get blood clots without flying but this also includes the impact of chemo and lines as part of the cancer treatment.

Has anyone else gone gone against their consultants advice?

• Hi Flyerland, 

It is actually interesting as I remember when I was diagnosed and I had my "waiting" time my oncologist told me to try not to worry about it too much, to try an relax, go for a holiday, try to enjoy my every days normal as possible.

Now as my oncologist saw all my test results and knew my case I don`t say that this applies to you too as your oncologist, his opinion and your case can differ from mine :) As I didn`t have lymph nodes only HCG level 280 after my surgery we already have a huge difference. And in no means I am encouraging anyone going against his doctor`s advice without a second opinion from another doctor.

And the thing with the "people with cancer do not go on holiday" doesn`t really reflects a reality and it`s a bit harsh as many cancer patients decide to travel abroad to relax before,during or after chemo.

I know my reply didn`t help you much but at least will bump up your post on the list and maybe someone more "experienced" will see it who can answer this for you! 

I will follow this post as it is a new topic which I didn`t hear about before.

Wishing you all the best, 

Huni

• Hi flyerlad,

Holiday, to Thailand, over Christmas...?   I don’t really think you need any advice here do you?  

The tone of your post appears to suggest a level headed view of the situation.  I see no reason not to go on holiday.  You have not started a treatment, you are on suveillance.  Advice given upon surveillance - try to carry on as normal.

off you go lad, enjoy the holiday... you deserve it.

take care 

dan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Huni

Thanks Huni, You confirmed what I thought, that is that people do go on on holiday, even flying, whilst waiting around for things to happen. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks

Flyerlad

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Odbball

Thanks Odbball,

You confirmed what I thought, that is that people try to carry on as normal, even flying, whilst waiting around for things to happen.

I haven't made up my mind what I am going to do yet but I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I see my consultant on Tuesday evening, so I will consider the results and things he has to say and then make a decision. As the flight is Wednesday, this is really last minute, but it is what it is.

Thanks

Flyerlad