Critical illness insurance claim

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

hi all

just wondering if anyone here had pure seminoma and were able to claim successfully on critical illness insurance policy?

My husband has the seminoma confirmed by a consultant urologist mid April. He was told the plan would be surveillance also. I asked the consultant if this would be suitable for a claim on the insurance  and he said he thought so and gave us his full name and GMC number and said he would be happy to assist. So my hubby put the claim in next day. Today, ( weeks later) the insurance company phoned to say this hospital has not heard of our consultant. My husband explained that where he met the consultant was our local hospital where urology runs clinics but the actual consultant is based at a nearby larger hospital . (He had already told them this on first phone call). Hubby also gave them the consultant’s secretary’s number today  (as found on NHS website). The insurance phoned back to say the secretary claimed she was the consultant’s private secretary and that the consultant had never met with my husband to discuss testicular cancer... Hubby told them that he had received a letter from that consultant with the diagnosis on and so he scanned it and sent it to them.  We are currently waiting on more correspondence from them receiving that .

It all seems very slow and as if the hospital staff aren’t willing to respond to the insurance company.

We see oncology for the first time next week to discuss the surveillance plan. Perhaps we should  bring it up with them.

Anyone else find process very slow and confusing ?

thanks x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

About the invasive part to do with insurance, I don't recall seeing a complaining post about not getting granted an insurance payment for testicular cancer. You are in particular discussing pure seminoma, and in a search I found a relevant but not detailed post here from January 23, 2019. https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/testicular-cancer/f/testicular-cancer-forum/175281/pt1-classic-seminoma-critical-illness-claim-query

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you so much for the link. Massively appreciated Grinning

• Hello 

I was diagnosed stage 1 pure seminoma last November with one shot of carbo in January. I did not think of a claim until I saw the comments on here. So I put in a critical illness claim with Standard life, they contacted my oncologist ( I gave his secretary the heads up)  , and they paid out within approx three months of starting the process. I was surprised it was so straight forward and felt was handled very professionally with no queries. Keep at it and maybe worth giving his secretary a ring to say he will be contacted.

Good luck and best wishes 

KOR

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KOR

Many thanks KOR.

I think it may be because we are yet to see the oncologist for the surveillance plan. The urologist that gave the diagnosis was very helpful but his secretary was not helpful when the insurance contacted her. Perhaps the oncologist , next week, will be more likely to be contacted. 

Thank you