Remaining testicle hurts after Orchiectomy

• 36 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi fellas, I hope you are well.

I come looking for some advice, I had a unilateral orchiectomy nine weeks ago, and now my remaining testicle is hurting, it feels swollen and hurts when I put on a pair of jeans or trousers.

Is this normal, has anyone else experienced their remaining testicle hurt after orchiectomy, does the remaining testicle ever settle down?  

• I didn't have pain before my surgery, I also had a second surgery to remove a large infection a month later.  My pain didn't start until approx 8 week after that surgery. Sleepy

• Sorry to hear that Oscar18, do they know why the pain started?

Why does orchiectomy surgery often leave the patient in permanent pain?

• Nerve damage has been mentioned but not stated as the reason or cause.

I don't know how common this is, given the number of surgeries, i have only come across a hand full of guys saying they have pain.

• Urology have referred me to neurology, they want to see why my remaining testicle is painful, and why I have pain on orchi side. 

• Let us know how you get on Grin

• I also felt pain in a remaining testicle after an orchiectomy. I believe this is due to the fact that the testicle quickly tries to replace the loss and works with a double load. The pain was for 5 months and then went away. I think it's just that the testicle gave up and began to produce hormones as much as it can.
    I also have a theory that the pain could be caused by taking antidepressants, which are known to affect hormonal levels. I just stopped taking the antidepressant and after a couple of weeks the pain was gone. Maybe it's just a coincidence.
    I note that the reason for the loss of the testicle is not cancer, but a mediocre surgeon who made a mistake during a varicocelotomy. I didn't go through chemo that burns a healthy testicle.

• Hi All,

I wanted to see how you’re all getting on 2 years later. I had a left inguinal oriechtonomy 6 months ago and I’ve developed a dull ache in my remaining testicle, abdomen, and lower back. My abdomen and pelvic MRI came back a little over a month ago showing no signs of metastasis. Any help or advice would be helpful and much appreciated. The pain is usually minor and dull but a couple times I experienced excruciating pain after sex. Doctors aren’t sure what could be causing the pain. Could it be kidney stones?

• Hi Matt10

Firstly sorry to hear that you are going through TC.  I hope you are doing fine and getting the support you need.

I am now approaching 6 years on from my surgeries (July/August 2018) and I still have pain but to a less degree than before. 

I have had two years of acupuncture treatments.  My pain levels were improving but I have also had to close my fitness classes as this was proving too much and aggravated the pain levels.  I am still active just not to the levels before TC.

So improved but had to adapt my life to get to this point, but still happy.

• Hi Oscar18, Wow 6 years ago, where does the time go...

What pain do you get now, do you have trigger points that sets the pain off? 

• Hey Chip

Time flies when you are having fun! Grinning

Pain is mainly isolated to the remaining testicle, can be dull ache or short and sharp.  Lots of physical activity can bring it on but other than that, no other triggers

How's you?