Remaining testicle hurts after Orchiectomy

• 33 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi fellas, I hope you are well.

I come looking for some advice, I had a unilateral orchiectomy nine weeks ago, and now my remaining testicle is hurting, it feels swollen and hurts when I put on a pair of jeans or trousers.

Is this normal, has anyone else experienced their remaining testicle hurt after orchiectomy, does the remaining testicle ever settle down?  

• Thanks for the prompt reply. From a bit of reading it does seem like this can be quite common for the remaining testicle (some anecdotal reports I've read). Hope yours isn't giving you too much grief but glad to hear all the follow up has been uneventful! 

• Thanks.  It doesn't really bother me at all. Just something I'm slightly aware of when I'm not busy.

G

• I had mine removed 11 months ago and the other one is still hurting as you described it - dull background ache. Sometimes it goes unnoticed but other times its disturbing and hard to ignore. I'm looking for anything that can help me resolve this completely as it is lowering my quality of life. 

• Hi Samer

Sorry to hear you're struggling with this. I'm afraid I can't really offer any advice as I've not tried anything to resolve it.  Reading this has made me realise that I don't think mine has ached in a few weeks now. But I know it will start again. I don't know what the conditions are that make it come and go.

Hopefully someone else might have some suggestions.

Best wishes

G

• Hi Samer

Sorry to hear that your pain is lowering your quality of life.  I can very much relate with you but unfortunately I don't have any answers to help.

It will be 4 years in July/August 2022 since I had my surgeries.  I unfortunately am still in pain now and have tried a few different pain killers (prescribed) but no luck yet.  There are a few others that have give similar stories but no answers.

The good news is that all my scans and bloods are still clear and not TC again.

• Hi Oscar, sorry you still have pain, is your pain still your remaining testicle which hurt to begin with?

Do you get any pain from the orchiectomy side?

• Hey Chip5

When the pain started it was a mix of the remaining one and the removed one which is why I initially thought it was the phantom pains that I have read about.

As time went on, the pain became more localised to the remaining one, I still get tingles rarely from the operation site.  The pain can be a dull ache right up to stopping me in my tracks, or waking me up.  It does sometimes shoot up into my lower back.  The way I describe the highest pain is imagine getting "pod flicked".

Please don't get me wrong, I am generally getting on with life, I work full time at a desk which can be uncomfortable and need to get up and move more often than before (contemplating getting a height adjustable desk).  I also teach 4 group exercise classes a week in the evenings, I do occasionally have to cancel class or change my work pattern due to my sleep being disturbed or pain levels.

It does affect me, moods can swing a lot, sex life is hindered as it is sensitive to touch (sometimes).  It's a constant reminder of TC which always sits at the back of my head even though I know its not.

But hey, it could be worse and I thank my lucky stars and the quick response from my local NHS!!  Just sometimes wish I could get an answer Grin

Sorry for war and peace, clearly my brain was needing to let go a bit today!!

• It's been 19 years for me and things have been mostly pain free, in the past couple of years got a little concerning, but in last 3 weeks it got like you have it Oscar, with one night where it was 8/10 severe electric shocks making my whole body twitch. Since been poor sleep and 2/10-3/10 dull pain too frequently for peace of mind, especially when lying in bed. Urology dept have prescribed me some hardcore antibiotics to rule out infection of the epididymis or other nearby organs. So far modest improvement in surrounding organ pain but not in the little fella/its absent phantom neighbour (hard to tell which is which sometimes).

When you said waking you up I thought of what the urologist told me is called 'overactive cremaster muscle'. See if your little fella is retracting hard towards your body sometimes when you notice pain.

How have things been going? Better? Diagnosis? Hope it's improved.

• Hi Jonathan

Sorry for the delay, been a bit hectic.  So things are not improving, slightly worse at the moment specifically in the last week.  I have been more active in the garden recently as have been on annual leave from work which could be the reason!?!?!

I am basically getting fobbed off from GP now, on 8 paracetamol and 8 tramadol a day and still have pain (7 month on these so far).  I am about to try acupuncture as this previously worked for migraines and to be honest I will give anything a go if it means less or no pain, plus not wanting to be popping these pills long term! Flushed

I have kept an eye on the pain to see if it he retracts, can't say I noticed it happening.  I will keep a watch for that though as I think that has happened in the past.

Hope you are good and improving!!

• Hi fellas, is it safe to say that you guys are in pain because of the orchiectomy? 

You had no pain on either side before surgery?